Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the pictures are from my brother's FOWLR tank. It is a 120 gallon tank with these fan worm/feather dusters just covering all of the live rock. The fish do not seem to mind but it does not look great. Any help IDing would be great and treating would be great/

1.jpg 2.jpg

AS

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the pictures are from my brother's FOWLR tank. It is a 120 gallon tank with these fan worm/feather dusters just covering all of the live rock. The fish do not seem to mind but it does not look great. Any help IDing would be great and treating would be great/

View attachment 3145014 View attachment 3145015
I love feather dusters and never had them hitchhike so this is a really cool find. they're pretty good filter feeders but if it is necessary the easiest way is to superglue they're openings.

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3145014 View attachment 3145015
These are colonial hydroids and should be removed by any means possible.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not hydroids, they are nothing more than run of the mill feather dusters and you can tell by the tubes.. hydroids have very short tubes and will not break off like these guys they’re almost rubbery and a pain to remove…

Nutramar Foods

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wut
Those are calcium tubes, I've seen hydroids and those are not hydroids. the feathery part can look like a hydroid but there be calcium tubes there. tbh, I thought polythoas were hydroids!:grinning-face-with-sweat:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not hydroids, they are nothing more than run of the mill feather dusters and you can tell by the tubes.. hydroids have very short tubes and will not break off like these guys they’re almost rubbery and a pain to remove…
There are many types of colonial hydroids, and some very closely resemble the OP's photos. I hope the OP has feather dusters but IME, those look like the hydroids that took over a tank -the only tank I've ever had to break down over a pest.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wut
Those are calcium tubes, I've seen hydroids and those are not hydroids. the feathery part can look like a hydroid but there be calcium tubes there. tbh, I thought polythoas were hydroids!:grinning-face-with-sweat:
Again, there are many different types and they can look just like the ones the OP posted.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back