Please help a novice with a question on worms...

BRS

Alejandro Montealegre

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greatly appreciate if you can help me with a question...

I am renting an apt that has a tank maintained by the owner.

I have noticed some repulsive worms at night, I believe based on photos and description that they are bristleworms. My question is, is there any possibility of them escaping the tank and crawling outside? And does their existence in the tank pose any threat to humans outside of the tank?

Thanks so much.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Big G

captain dunsel
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! No worries. The only threat humans have from bristle worms is contact with them within the tank. Some of them can sting your hand or arm and it feels like a bee sting to most. They can get pretty long depending on the tank conditions. Cannot survive outside of the water, unlike some snails that can carry with them a bit of water within their shells.

OP
OP
A

Alejandro Montealegre

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the info , greatly appreciated!!!

At night some of the worms come out from under the rocks and climb up the sides of the glass. They get up pretty close to the top of the water.

If I understand you correctly, the worms will definetly stop there and not continue past the water level? In this tank, above the water level there is a three inch space , followed by a partial cover with some holes .

It would be horrific to see one go past the partial cover and into the general apartment area at some point ...

AquaCave Logo Banner

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! Not gonna happen! And not sure if the owner has asked you or not...but dont use any air fresheners,scented candles or such or they ll be disastrous to the tank. :)

OP
OP
A

Alejandro Montealegre

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ...
Welcome to R2R! No worries. The only threat humans have from bristle worms is contact with them within the tank. Some of them can sting your hand or arm and it feels like a bee sting to most. They can get pretty long depending on the tank conditions. Cannot survive outside of the water, unlike some snails that can carry with them a bit of water within their shells.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Black Label Aquatics
Back