Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 10 years I used a DIY ATO that used two float switches. It activated a double power socket, so I could use whatever pump in my fresh water supply. And I used two pumps, so if one failed the other would still do the job. I'm not even that technically literate, I literally just followed an online tutorial back then. And during those 10 years it miraculously never failed. But I decided wise up and switch to something more safe after that...

• I tried the Hydor smart control with 3 tiny sensors. Looked really promising. For some reason it didn't detect my waterlevel accurately. I've had return pumps running dry. And also the ATO pump going on for way to long.
  • I tried one with an optical sensor from Autoaqua. The optical sensor also seems inaccurate. I've had return pumps running dry. And also the ATO pump going on for way to long. After a few months the optical sensor proved that it wasn't even water proof and the unit failed completely.
  • I tried a very similar device from DD, with very similar results. Only difference was the sensor leak before I discarded it.
  • Currently I'm on to Tunze 5017, with an optical sensor and a second float switch that checks for the ATO being on too long. So it has a double check to prevent overflowing. This would have been great if it also had an extra float switch that checks the other side. Because you guessed it, I've had return pumps running dry.

So my main issue with all these is that optical sensors start failing to see that the water level has lowered. Resulting in dry running return pumps.

I see that Red sea is coming out with a very fancy ATO! It has 3(THREE!) extra safeguard sensors against overflowing. None, against the other way round. It baffles me. I can't be the only one with this issue, can I?

All this has led me to trust old fashioned float switches 100x more then other types of sensors. If I was confident enough in my DIY builds then I would build a new ATO with 3 float switches, but I'm not.

I would really want an ATO that just has 3 float switches. Does such a thing exist? (Or with other type of sensor, but 2 backup float switches.) One to keep the optimal level. A second one to prevent dry running. And a third one that prevents overflowing.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
W

Wilfried

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all the ATO's you have been through, you probably could have bought a controller that you can add a sensor to your res to prevent your pumps running dry.

Do you mean adding a sensor to my fresh water reservoir? Why would I do that? My issue with optical sensors it that they start failing to see that the water level has lowered. Resulting in dry running return pumps.

Nutramar Foods

Dolphis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m the same boat as you….
I’ve used the Tunze 5017 for 2-3 years and in that time, I’ve had to replace it once already… it wouldn’t fill and then it would say it was too low, but wouldn’t dispense water and then it would think the water level was too high.
Changing the pump and cleaning the sensor with citric acid didn’t change a thing. I’m guessing it was a board issue, but it’s never been wet or seen any type of moisture.
So now the one I currently have is starting to show signs of failure… seems to last about a year and a half or so.

I got the tunze cuz it was suppose to be the best, but I expected a lot longer service life from it….

I thought about trying out a different ATO, but they all seem to have bad reviews, just as you have experienced.

Tunze is suppose to be coming out with a new ATO that has a run-dry prevention pump and a new board - hoping that will be an improvement and I’m willing to give tunze another try

I’ve also been interested in the Red Sea ATO. While RS hasn’t always been on my radar, I’ve been very happy with their skimmer, dosing pump and reef mat, so I’m hoping the ATO will be another hit from RS.

As far as run-dry prevention, a controller would be the easiest way to go.
I don’t care for Apex at all, but they do have a lot of accessories.
Not sure if Hydros has anything in that regard, but Hydros is really promising and they’re coming out with new accessories all the time.

Hopefully RS and Tunze release their ATOs soon… I’ll definitely be waiting for reviews

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean adding a sensor to my fresh water reservoir? Why would I do that? My issue with optical sensors it that they start failing to see that the water level has lowered. Resulting in dry running return pumps.
No, he means a switch lower in the sump that can shut off the pump it it gets critically low.
This is through a controller.

My tunze has been running 5+ years flawlessly.
Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
W

Wilfried

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, he means a switch lower in the sump that can shut off the pump it it gets critically low.
This is through a controller.

My tunze has been running 5+ years flawlessly.
Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Aha, but that wouldn't really fix anything. Yes my returns pumps will survive. But my salinity will rise due to the failing ATO.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha, but that wouldn't really fix anything. Yes my returns pumps will survive. But my salinity will rise due to the failing ATO.
But if the pump shut off it would only be in your sump and not the whole system of the lowering salinity.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230327_080340_Chrome.jpg
I use this. It does fail off somerimes but what i did was mount a $25 web cam that i can see thru my phone. If i see it blinking i can just reset it thru my wifi power strip its plugged into. Problem solved. I go on vacation for a couple weeks and check this camera usually once a day or every 2 days. No worries.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze is just simple. Now you need to clean the optical sensor once every 3-6 months and the pump is loud but its always works. Now sometimes its not perfect but it gets the job done.

As soon as that new DC pump comes available ill be buying it as i hate the loud pump.

But if you have the space and love drilling stuff then a gravity ato is the way.

Avast
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

edd59

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
look into Avast Marine they make a dependable ATO. work on a pressure switch, hooked to tube that sits in the water. when water rises , pressure rises and turns it off. i keep my reservoir in the basement and it pulls the water up.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back