Platygyra looking unwell. Is this bad news for the other inhabitants of the tank?

BRS

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos below. Our platygyra has been struggling for a while, lots of die off where it was fragged, and the turbo snails kept knocking it over. They seem to have it out for the platy, for some reason. The Tang swims by the platy quite a bit, I wouldn't be shocked if it's been cut a couple of times.

I dont know if what I'm looking at is bleaching or necrosis. It looked great yesterday, not so much today.

Temps are stable at 78.
Recently added a stronger light (but left the platy in a corner where it isnt getting blasted).
Alk is stable ish between 9.6 and 10.2.
Ca is a touch high around 460.

Everything else is looking good (give or take some pieces that dont seem terribly pleased with their current locations).

Should I pull the platy asap, or feed and maybe move it somewhere else?

20200311_180117.jpg 20200308_171703.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos below. Our platygyra has been struggling for a while, lots of die off where it was fragged, and the turbo snails kept knocking it over. They seem to have it out for the platy, for some reason. The Tang swims by the platy quite a bit, I wouldn't be shocked if it's been cut a couple of times.

I dont know if what I'm looking at is bleaching or necrosis. It looked great yesterday, not so much today.

Temps are stable at 78.
Recently added a stronger light (but left the platy in a corner where it isnt getting blasted).
Alk is stable ish between 9.6 and 10.2.
Ca is a touch high around 460.

Everything else is looking good (give or take some pieces that dont seem terribly pleased with their current locations).

Should I pull the platy asap, or feed and maybe move it somewhere else?

View attachment 1467548 View attachment 1467549

Definitely tissue recession happening. I would attempt to move it to a shaded area for awhile and see what it does.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely tissue recession happening. I would attempt to move it to a shaded area for awhile and see what it does.

I put a pad of sticky notes on the canopy to shade the platy. It seemed to like that, its mouth is coming out.

I dont want to handle it excessively. Do you think this kind of tissue recession may indicate a contagious bacterial infection?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a pad of sticky notes on the canopy to shade the platy. It seemed to like that, its mouth is coming out.

I dont want to handle it excessively. Do you think this kind of tissue recession may indicate a contagious bacterial infection?

Not unless your seeing any brown, mucus looking material on or around it. Could be stress from water parameter difference from what it was use to and or light intensity.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back