Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend I was at a local reefers house picking up a coral I was buying from him, I mentioned that I had some pink diamonds for sale. He says to me "I'll be honest, I can't really tell the difference between pink diamonds and purple monsters" and proceeds to point out to me his pink diamonds in his tank, and then points at his purple monsters in the same tank. ...They were clearly both just purple monsters. He said that his "pink diamonds" had been sold to him as such. Yikes! I showed him a few pictures of Pink Diamonds and Purple monster frags in my tank that were on the same frag rack and that they were very much different in appearance. The pinks are VERY pink, with shorter rounded fringe, while the purple monsters are quite purple and speckled with longer pointier fringe. He ended up coming by my place the next day as he wanted some of my speckled kraks, and I ended up throwing in a frag with a few pink diamonds polyps for free for him.

Oddly I had this exact same debate with someone a year or so ago online, where they were INSISTING that pink diamonds and purple monsters were the same exact thing with different names and that the different appearances are just due to different people's tank parameters/lighting/flow. At the time I didn't have any purple monsters so I couldn't really refute that. Now I have a lot of both pink diamonds and purple monsters in my tank that have both been growing well for the better part of a year. They are both CLEARLY different zoas in the exact same environment.

Just thought this was odd that this misconception and mis-identification of pink diamonds seems to be common. Anyone else ever had a similar situation or been sold something that you found out wasn't in fact that thing you thought you were sold?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture is worth a thousand words.
This is true! Can you spot the purple monster?

5A387591-0A8C-41FF-89BD-96E9C1BA7618.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back