Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been dosing phytoplankton for the past couple of months to outcompete Dino’s and feed microfauna/coral in my system. The Dino’s are 99% gone now after looking under a microscope. What is present under the microscope is diatoms. Multiple species of diatoms it appears. And they now populate my sand bed much like you would see Dino’s do.

Im suspecting that the phytoplankton im culturing and dosing is contributing to this sand bed diatom bloom, probly because of excess silica in the culture being dosed. I stopped dosing phyto yesterday to see if the diatoms disappear.

Has anybody experienced this before? Is there a culture medium for phyto that doesn’t contain silica? Would the phyto (Nanno) grow without a silica component? Im using Guillards f/2 from Mercer of Montana.

World Wide Corals

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing Ocean Magic and haven't had any of those issues, but im not looking under a microscope. At the least Im seeing better conditions and they seem to be doing there job. I do however have a good CUC going and good flow in the DT. I'm interested on what others say so I'll be watching this thread.

reef_1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody experienced this before? Is there a culture medium for phyto that doesn’t contain silica? Would the phyto (Nanno) grow without a silica component?

Yes. You can do the recipe without sodium silicates.

Or what I did is that I simply used liquid plant fertilizer, 2 quid per 1L, the greens grow in that one very well (I havent dosed that in my tank though - used the phyto for zooplankton only).

OP
OP
D

djf91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You can do the recipe without sodium silicates.

Or what I did is that I simply used liquid plant fertilizer, 2 quid per 1L, the greens grow in that one very well (I havent dosed that in my tank though - used the phyto for zooplankton only).
What brand did you use? Any risk of heavy metals?

reef_1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand did you use? Any risk of heavy metals?
Don't remember, used random ones off the shelves in the garden centre which had a good ratio of phosphate and nitrates.

There is definitely a risk of unwanted stuff, but I didnt dose phyto directly to the tank, I only used it to feed rotifers and pods.

But it will happily grow in it.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AlgaeBarn

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back