Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I hear quite a few corals prefer high phosphates and wanted to hear opinions from the reef2reef community.
In my opinion my corals look great and are always open and happy and quite a few zoas iv had for a short time are already multiplying
My phosphate is sitting at 0.35ppm
What about yours?
Thanks!!

E097AC45-6A7B-4B44-91D3-24CA3FBF0329.jpeg

Red_Beard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.1 is where i am now. I've let it get up into the. 4s though and like 60 no³. Coral for the most part was fine, but the one acro i had slowed way down when nutrients were that high.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I hear quite a few corals prefer high phosphates and wanted to hear opinions from the reef2reef community.

What corals specifically? Curious as to source.

There are numbers. Then there is the hobbyist display. If you are happy with your measurement and the display is healthy then the number doesn't really matter. This is just my take on it. Do your daily observations on the display, never over react, and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What corals specifically? Curious as to source.

There are numbers. Then there is the hobbyist display. If you are happy with your measurement and the display is healthy then the number doesn't really matter. This is just my take on it. Do your daily observations on the display, never over react, and enjoy the ride.
My zoas(high end and lower end pieces), my leathers,my CC Goldfinger torch, and acans are all looking great and growing well

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It’s cool to watch the conversation slowly shift away from numbers and towards ecosystem management in reef tanks. Here’s one that’s particularly entertaining, and insightful:

I recently watched this video
Great advice
Just wanted to hear from the reef2reef community

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

c0kefree

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been sitting at .16-.19 for maybe 10 months now. No issues. I occasionally get ancy and throw some gfo in which drops it down to .1
has never been below .1 in my recent memory.

Mixed reef. My acros grow like weeds. Here’s one of my faves.

Speaking of Rich Ross, you should watch/listen the podcast he hosts with Ben Johnson called Reef Beef. They’ve covered the nutrient subject in depth
DF3636A7-CBEC-438D-ADBF-11C73DB3386B.jpeg

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas(high end and lower end pieces), my leathers,my CC Goldfinger torch, and acans are all looking great and growing well

I was asking more about your comment: "So I hear quite a few corals prefer high phosphates"

Personally speaking and as I noted each system is different and numbers are numbers. Mine will be different than yours. As Rich (author in the video below) noted several years ago that people would start dosing phosphates and/or nitrates because they can now test for it. He wasn't wrong.

In any case as you noted your corals look great and growing which we take as healthy. Clearly you are doing something well so keep it up. All the best.

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Everyone will have a different happy range and depends on if reef, mixed reef, type of coral and accuracy of test kits.
An indicator of high levels is generally algae growth or cyano as examples. This reverts back to stability- if a parameter value is working- Leave it. I have 7.9 ph steady and I do not chase it or change it.
Coral are Not complaining

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion my corals look great and are always open and happy and quite a few zoas iv had for a short time are already multiplying
What about yours?
Thanks!!

View attachment 2991037

My recommendation is for 0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate and 2-10 ppm nitrate.

I do not believe that there is any evidence that phosphate above 0.1 ppm is an improvement over 0.1 ppm phosphate. At that point it is not likely a limiting factor in the growth of any corals.

maxthisout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The proof is what is in your tank, if your corals look happy to you there's no need to change/chase anything. I was rewatching a few videos on this very topic yesterday.

One from Coral Euphoria that is a few years old. Abe has stunning corals and the explanations/diagrams are top notch.

And one from a tour in Australia where he's talking specifically about Scoly care and having almost no detectable phosphate to have ideal conditions plus ample non-direct flow (I have a number of Scolies in my DT).

Top Shelf Aquatics

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's important to keep in mind that at the end of the day, corals just need to eat. Some beautiful SPS tanks have zero detectable NO3 and PO4. These tanks likely have abundant floating particulate foods. So the corals can meet their nitrogen and phosphorus needs strictly by feeding, like they do in the ocean.

On the other hand, some tanks with SPS and zero or near-zero nutrients don't do as well. It's my theory that in these cases, the corals can't meet their nutritional needs by particulate foods and light alone. So they need some dissolved nutrients. Increasing dissolved PO4 (and NO3, if it's also low) allows corals to uptake these nutrients from the water instead of from foods.

This was the case in my tank. PO4 was relatively low, 0.03 ppm, the oft-recommended "target" in the hobby. My SPS didn't do well for years. After I started dosing crazy amounts of PO4 and keeping it elevated, corals colored up and started growing. My current level is between 0.15 and 0.2, although I'm considering lowering my targets to 0.1 to 0.15.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back