+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am trying to be diligent and getting mytank dialed in prior to adding corals. I admit to feeding on the heavy side. Skimmer is hob, no sump
Not sure if related ,My nitrates had been 10-20 maintained with water changes.
Ph 8.2, sg 1.025,
Trying to maintain alk low 9 range and have started to supplement a little kalk in top off water as it is starting to be used a little.
Calcium stays 490’s
Last week when nitrates had typically been 20 after a week no water change they were 5 (api and Hanna), no water change and a week later 6.6
Last week with Hanna I got 3 readings- well cleaned and directions followed (other than not careful about fingerprints on tubes): 0.9, 0.06 and 0.15
This week I got 0.62 then 0.22
Is there a more reliable way to check phosphates? Is there an obvious dummie mistake I may be making. I am taking water from an inch below water surface
Thanks very much.
Dan

CLICK TO VIEW

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure your using all the powder in the reagent packet and not missing any. Also don’t shake the vile aggressively to mix the water. You want a gentle shake to mix the reagent. This is because aggressively shaking it creates micro air bubbles in the vile which can throw off the reading.

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checkers have a built in stop watch. You can shake gently then calibrate the first vile then when you insert the second one with the reagent in it hold the button on the Checker with the vile in it and it starts a timer.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checkers have a built in stop watch. You can shake gently then calibrate the first vile then when you insert the second one with the reagent in it hold the button on the Checker with the vile in it and it starts a timer.

The timer is not there to time how long you mix. You also should calibrate the same cuvette that you measure in.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The
The timer is not there to time how long you mix. You also should calibrate the same cuvette that you measure in.
the timer on the checker is to make sure all the reagent is dissolved in. You need to mix it manually then let it sit in the checker with the time. I don’t personally use the timer but that’s how it is supposed to work.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been doing that yes, shaking the reagent to mix may be off 5-10 seconds without a stop watch; perhaps i have been missing some reagent in the packet - although i try to be careful- we'll see, just odd getting such drastic differences - this is also with a new replacement pack of reagents - yes of the ultra low - if i keep getting odd readings i will contact hanna to see

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am trying to be diligent and getting mytank dialed in prior to adding corals. I admit to feeding on the heavy side. Skimmer is hob, no sump
Not sure if related ,My nitrates had been 10-20 maintained with water changes.
Ph 8.2, sg 1.025,
Trying to maintain alk low 9 range and have started to supplement a little kalk in top off water as it is starting to be used a little.
Calcium stays 490’s
Last week when nitrates had typically been 20 after a week no water change they were 5 (api and Hanna), no water change and a week later 6.6
Last week with Hanna I got 3 readings- well cleaned and directions followed (other than not careful about fingerprints on tubes): 0.9, 0.06 and 0.15
This week I got 0.62 then 0.22
Is there a more reliable way to check phosphates? Is there an obvious dummie mistake I may be making. I am taking water from an inch below water surface
Thanks very much.
Dan
With Hanna you can’t say to followed the directions apart from…you need to follow them exactly and finger prints in the vial is not going to give accurate results.
Very easy once you get a routine going, buy a micro fibre cloth, give a wipe each time, set your phone timer for 2 mins, shake well, then put in the checker for 3 mins this allows any bubbles in the shaking process to settle.

You also need to test at the same time, testing after feeding the tank, even a couple of hours later will give a higher reading.

Icryhard

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think so, just reading on it, they said to wipe it down, i think the time and the bubbles thing are the likely culprits and i'm goin to sit down in a bit and retes a few times for consistency
Do you have the ULR? All of these Hanna checkers have some margin of error of course. If you do have the ULR, these are the steps for an accurate reading (which will always give margin of error ofc, so keep that in mind):

2 minutes shaking, not hard, or else you'll end up with micro bubbles.
Wipe it clean with a clean towel so there are no fingerprints and dust on it
Stick it in there and you'll have a good reading.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back