+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My tank has a pH swings from 7.91 at night to 8.18 during the day. I read that the optimal value for coral growth should be 8.3 and I should no fluctuate below 8.1.

My question is are my values good or should I add a co2 scrubber? I have a 38g Aio tank with a tunze 9004 comline skimmer running.

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My tank has a pH swings from 7.91 at night to 8.18 at night. I read that the optimal value for coral growth should be 8.3 and I should no fluctuate below 8.1.

My question is are my values good or should I add a co2 scrubber? I have a 38g Aio tank with a tunze 9004 comline skimmer running.
My tank swings between 7.7 and 8.2 every single day, and I have no issues with coral growth.
In fact, I wish it would slow down a little.

BRS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your levels are fine, and it is also true that you would likely get faster hard coral growth at higher pH. Only you can decide what you want from your system. :)

OP
OP
db2022

db2022

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your levels are fine, and it is also true that you would likely get faster hard coral growth at higher pH. Only you can decide what you want from your system. :)
Thank you Randy! I had another quick question. So if I go down the path of getting a CO2 scrubber. Should I get the icecap small or medium for a 38g Aio tank? Your response is much appreciated

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy! I had another quick question. So if I go down the path of getting a CO2 scrubber. Should I get the icecap small or medium for a 38g Aio tank? Your response is much appreciated

I don't know what size would be best. My only opinion on scrubbers is that I'm not a fan of fully recirculating scrubbers, which may make the media last longer, but gives up the oxygenation capability of the skimmer.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
db2022

db2022

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what size would be best. My only opinion on scrubbers is that I'm not a fan of fully recirculating scrubbers, which may make the media last longer, but gives up the oxygenation capability of the skimmer.
I think I will just leave it be and not add one for now. I like the oxygenation provided by the skimmer.

Corals.com

JamesZ.

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 43 gal. RedSea 170 and I have the medium Icecap set up on a closed loop with my skimmer. My PH swing is 8.18 night to 8.49 day. The only thing to watch for when doing a closed loop is too much condensation build up in the bottom of the Icecap. If this happens, you could accidently syphon that water to your tank with very bad results. I solved this problem by drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the Icecap and installing a shut-off where I can drain the condensation build up. My oxygen levels are good, but if that's a concern of yours, you can put a " T " in the feed line to pull oxygen in from outside. My media in the medium Icecap will last me about 6 months before it begins to turn pink and needs to be replaced. I have noticed a huge increase in PH and a lot faster coral growth since installing a C02 scrubber.
You could also try adding a little Kalkwasser to your top off, which might give you a little bump in PH, be careful not to add too much.

OP
OP
db2022

db2022

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 43 gal. RedSea 170 and I have the medium Icecap set up on a closed loop with my skimmer. My PH swing is 8.18 night to 8.49 day. The only thing to watch for when doing a closed loop is too much condensation build up in the bottom of the Icecap. If this happens, you could accidently syphon that water to your tank with very bad results. I solved this problem by drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the Icecap and installing a shut-off where I can drain the condensation build up. My oxygen levels are good, but if that's a concern of yours, you can put a " T " in the feed line to pull oxygen in from outside. My media in the medium Icecap will last me about 6 months before it begins to turn pink and needs to be replaced. I have noticed a huge increase in PH and a lot faster coral growth since installing a C02 scrubber.
You could also try adding a little Kalkwasser to your top off, which might give you a little bump in PH, be careful not to add too much.
Thank you! I appreciate the overview of your setup and how you make use of the co2 scrubber for a similar size tank.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back