Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the pros and cons to running a Calcium reactor with just a pH monitor (Most likely a Milwalkee) vs a RK or other equivalent? If i go with a digital type monitor, is there any special consideration that i would need to keep in mind? Considering the money pit, saving the extra money to do it right once is where i want to be. :beated:

Thanks

Corals.com

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a pH monitor will help you dial in your Calc Rx. A pH controller will help you maintain your Calc Rx because you can set the bubble rate as high as you like and have the controller turn on the CO2 when the pH drops below 6.5. Using a Controller like an RK or Apex not only gives you the ability to control, but for me more importantly it lets me know when something happens to the Calc Rx. If a line gets blocked or a CO2 tanks runs out the Complete controller will let you know quite quickly. This is valuable for me, because my Calc Rx is outside under a counter so I don't check on it that often.

Dave B

OP
OP
W

wanlail

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information to know. Is there any special consideration that I need to make if I go the route of a Apex or RK? While it would be nice to go the route of just a monitor or controller, being able to control the entire system with a controller is appealing.

Top Shelf Aquatics

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use a Milwaukee SMS-122 pH controller for my calcium reactor but later purchased a RKL level 3 and now control it with that. Never had a problem with the SMS but I was able to sell it along with many timers, outlet strips, a chiller and a Ranco dual stage temp controller, all of which the RKL, along with a couple well placed fans, replaced .

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back