Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I moved to Lake Havasu City, Az the PH in my 300 gallon system has been running lower than I am used to. For a big portion of the year it is too hot to open the house up. I do run a calcium reactor but leaving it off for 24 hours did not make a difference in the PH neither did turning off the skimmer for 24 hours. I put an air stone in a cup of water in the same room as the tank and PH did not change. If I poke a hole through the wall behind the tank it goes into the garage, so I tried the air stone in a cup of tank water in the garage and the PH went down even lower. When I did it outside in the open air in two hours it went to 8.26 so I figure the tank is at equilibrium with the co2 levels in the house. I read in Randy's article and others that a PH around 8.0 should be fine. Alk is 8.6 dkh, calcium is 450, magnesium is around 1350. My question is would it be worth the work to run the skimmer airlines outside? I know it would help to bring up the PH but it still would not bring it up to the same as open air to the outside as the co2 within the house would still be getting into the tank water. I could run the airlines for the skimmer pumps temporarily through a window to see how much difference it makes but how much time will it take on a 300 gallon system with a large skimmer for it to reach the maximum increase I will see?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Waterjockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I moved to Lake Havasu City, Az the PH in my 300 gallon system has been running lower than I am used to. For a big portion of the year it is too hot to open the house up. I do run a calcium reactor but leaving it off for 24 hours did not make a difference in the PH neither did turning off the skimmer for 24 hours. I put an air stone in a cup of water in the same room as the tank and PH did not change. If I poke a hole through the wall behind the tank it goes into the garage, so I tried the air stone in a cup of tank water in the garage and the PH went down even lower. When I did it outside in the open air in two hours it went to 8.26 so I figure the tank is at equilibrium with the co2 levels in the house. I read in Randy's article and others that a PH around 8.0 should be fine. Alk is 8.6 dkh, calcium is 450, magnesium is around 1350. My question is would it be worth the work to run the skimmer airlines outside? I know it would help to bring up the PH but it still would not bring it up to the same as open air to the outside as the co2 within the house would still be getting into the tank water. I could run the airlines for the skimmer pumps temporarily through a window to see how much difference it makes but how much time will it take on a 300 gallon system with a large skimmer for it to reach the maximum increase I will see?

I just ran a line from my skimmer to the outside this summer. It took maybe a week to 10 days for the pH to slowly rise and stabilize at the new level, about 0.2 or so units up from where it was...just under 8 to about 8.2

Corals.com
OP
OP
Bruce Burnett

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose kalk to help and increase pH when lights are off. Do you have a refugium?
No refugium, thought about an ATS or a Chaeto reactor. Money is currently in short supply. The kalk will help with the swing but I would have to add a separate dosing pump or controller as I don't have an Apex.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Bruce Burnett

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No refugium, thought about an ATS or a Chaeto reactor. Money is currently in short supply. The kalk will help with the swing but I would have to add a separate dosing pump or controller as I don't have an Apex.
just a little slower growth rate on some acros

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be overly concerned with tha pH range. Where I get concerned is when the pH drops below 7.8. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
Corals.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran tubing for a day and didn't see any difference. Want to see if leaving it out longer would do it.

If the tubing diameter is too small, it will greatly restrict flow to the skimmer inlet.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ph is considered too high for a reef tank? Is it when precipitation occurs, guessing about 8.6? Thanks!

That is where I'd begin to be more concerned, but there's no specific point where that begins. It happens even at pH 8.2, but faster and faster as pH rises. :)

leemosh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be overly concerned about chasing the pH, but if you want, you could always try a CO2 scrubber on the inlet to your skimmer, which is basically doing what running the airline outside is doing, but you have to keep changing the scrubbing media. I think BRS said they'd be doing a video on it sometime soon.

Aceone

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tubing diameter is too small, it will greatly restrict flow to the skimmer inlet.
I was using the same diameter tubing that came from the skimmer. Should i increase the diameter little by little? I have a Reef Octopus 110 if i remember correctly.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the same diameter tubing that came from the skimmer. Should i increase the diameter little by little? I have a Reef Octopus 110 if i remember correctly.

If the tubing is now longer, larger diameter may be needed.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back