Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So starting my kalk stirrer journey with an Avast stirrer. My PH is dropping 7.9 according to my apex, and getting up to 8.1 most of the times. My question is for you guys using a kalk reactor is do you put the dosing tube under the water or above? Will it work under the water line since I know kalk loses it's potency when air is introduction to the solution. I'm thinking about this since I want to refill the kalk reactor as little as possible. Hopefully it keeps me at a stable 8.3 all day and night. If not I may have to look into a recirculation protein skimmer also to try to help out with the kalk reactor. And also what is a good target PH from your experience?

TIA for any insight!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried multiple things in the stirrer outlet. The best for me was to cut off a silicone tube about a foot long and put it on the stirrer outlet. The tube outlet remains above, but directed down toward, the water line.

I don’t target a pH, but use the kalkwasser (along with 2 part) to maintain alkalinity and calcium.

OP
OP
misturrtinnie

misturrtinnie

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve tried multiple things in the stirrer outlet. The best for me was to cut off a silicone tube about a foot long and put it on the stirrer outlet. The tube outlet remains above, but directed down toward, the water line.

I don’t target a pH, but use the kalkwasser (along with 2 part) to maintain alkalinity and calcium.

How often do you think you needed to add kalk to get the solution back to normal?

Top Shelf Aquatics

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 4 L per day of kalkwasser solution. I use about 1/4 cup of kalk powder per week. That’s enough to keep the solution saturated.

When I’m on top of my game I add powder every week or two (so 1/4 or 1/2 cup at a time). But normally I’m lazy and add a cup or two every month or so.

Adding fresh kalk powder more often does help the solution stay saturated.

I have the k2 version.

Mike1970

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 4 L per day of kalkwasser solution. I use about 1/4 cup of kalk powder per week. That’s enough to keep the solution saturated.

When I’m on top of my game I add powder every week or two (so 1/4 or 1/2 cup at a time). But normally I’m lazy and add a cup or two every month or so.

Adding fresh kalk powder more often does help the solution stay saturated.

I have the k2 version.
What type of kalk are you using? ( brand ) I have a K1 and I’m using the BRS pharma but they say it’s not good ive been staring with 1/2 cup and adding a 1/2 cup every 2 weeks with a clean and fresh start every month

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of kalk are you using? ( brand ) I have a K1 and I’m using the BRS pharma but they say it’s not good ive been staring with 1/2 cup and adding a 1/2 cup every 2 weeks with a clean and fresh start every month
I use different brands. I used BRS and Mrs wages. Recently I’ve been using this because that what is available locally at my grocery.
image.jpg

BRS
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back