+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been dosing Kalk for about two months now. I had some pH measurement issues with my two probes but now I have settled on one particular probe, which calibrates well.

Now I have stopped dosing Kalk for the last two weeks as I have noticed my pH creeping up. I now get a diurnal peak of 8.65 and a low of 8.28 overnight without adding anything. The tank inhabitants don't show any signs of stress.

Should I be concerned?

AquaCave Logo Banner
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say you're use a high-alk salt, perfect indoor air quality, and perfect tank aeration...expect pH is 8.38 NBS.

SmartSelect_20230402_154647_Pydroid 3.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect that pH of 8.65 is not accurate when not dosing kalkwasser, unless the alkalinity is very high.

If it is that high, simple aeration will lower it.

Corals.com
OP
OP
JulesH

JulesH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect that pH of 8.65 is not accurate when not dosing kalkwasser, unless the alkalinity is very high.

If it is that high, simple aeration will lower it.
Hi Randy, can I ask why you say the pH is not accurate when not dosing kalwasser, my alkalinity is 9.3.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been dosing Kalk for about two months now. I had some pH measurement issues with my two probes but now I have settled on one particular probe, which calibrates well.

Now I have stopped dosing Kalk for the last two weeks as I have noticed my pH creeping up. I now get a diurnal peak of 8.65 and a low of 8.28 overnight without adding anything. The tank inhabitants don't show any signs of stress.

Should I be concerned?
I don't believe the pH of 8.65 is accurate.

Which buffers did you use to calibrate your probe?
Were they freshly opened (high pH buffers go bad pretty fast).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, can I ask why you say the pH is not accurate when not dosing kalwasser, my alkalinity is 9.3.

I base that on thousands of reported values for pH from reef tanks, and when no high pH additives are in significant use, and alk is not unusually high, pH that high ends up being testing error.

It's hard to get pH that high. Without high pH alk additives, it requires a lot of photosynthesis and not very much aeration.

Normal reef tanks have plenty of aeration to keep photosynthesis from driving pH that high.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
JulesH

JulesH

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I base that on thousands of reported values for pH from reef tanks, and when no high pH additives are in significant use, and alk is not unusually high, pH that high ends up being testing error.

It's hard to get pH that high. Without high pH alk additives, it requires a lot of photosynthesis and not very much aeration.

Normal reef tanks have plenty of aeration to keep photosynthesis from driving pH that high.
OK, thanks for that.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, looking at my last reply, I certainly wasn't questioning your judgement and apologies if it seems that way. The issue was with me I did not understand your answer.

I didn't take it that way, and it is ALWAYS appropriate to question things that do not make sense or that do not give a convincing rationale. :)

David_CO

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I'm out of town for work for longer then 3-4 days my indoor CO2 reports at 380-400ppm. My PH seems to cap out at 8.55 with pretty heavy kalk dosing. It reliably gets to that exact point and flatlines trip after trip (using a neptune PH probe). During this time my diurnal swing goes down to ~8.35ish

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back