Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am considering getting a Pencil Urchin for my reef tank to help with some algae problems. In doing research here, there seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether they eat corals…so, are they reef safe?

Corals.com

Reefing102

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was not once grown. When it was small, no issue, but as it grew, killed off a platygyra, a couple montipora, some zoas. Now that it’s been sumped, nothing is dying off so I can only assume that was the problem

Top Shelf Aquatics

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever seen 2 or 3 different pencil urchins and all I can say is that they will mow down paths and clean the rock white and will eat anything that goes under them usually.
I still recommend them and top crown snails for gha.
D

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started reef safe, then began eating mushrooms, hammers, frogspawn, and acropora. Quickly got removed once I realized what was happening. Now he lives in my refugium, with all the Caulerpa he could ever dream of.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with all the recent feedback with experience that they eat corals, do we think that is a result of no algae left in the tank and now I am going to eat the next best thing available?

I am fine with returning it to the store or sump once all the algae is gone. I can accept the tradeoff. I believe I have addressed the nutrient import, but need to deal with the remaining algae on the rock that I cannot remove by hand. A $30-$40 for the urchin is well worth it if it will get rid of the algae and hand him back to the LFS when it has done its job, or the sump..assuming it starts to harm my coral.

Top Shelf Aquatics

whybenormal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for quite a while, and still had plenty of algae in my tank. I got my first corals last Saturday. Today "Boomer" the pencil urchin, mowed down, and we just discovered, actually ate, one of my new clove corals. He is going to go to the store and get traded in.... Sorry Boomer... I don't know if I want him to eat all the stuff in the refugium yet...

World Wide Corals
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back