Pectinia Recovering After Melting - Do I Cut Off the Skeleton?

miltonkl

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Space Invader Pectinia I picked up 6 months ago. It was doing fine initially then suddenly started dying and melting away until I could see half the skeleton. It's my favorite coral so far, so I was heartbroken it wasn't doing well and couldn't figure out why. I wrote it off as a goner but couldn't throw it away since it still had a little green. I've since upgraded tanks and just left it sitting in the sand and it's actually looking swollen and healthy again, with the exception of the bit of skeleton sticking out of it (looks like a bonsai tree with a jin branch, if you're familiar with that hobby at all).

Should I cut off the skeleton or leave it? I don't want to upset the coral further, I'd really like to see it thrive and grow out.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Space Invader Pectinia I picked up 6 months ago. It was doing fine initially then suddenly started dying and melting away until I could see half the skeleton. It's my favorite coral so far, so I was heartbroken it wasn't doing well and couldn't figure out why. I wrote it off as a goner but couldn't throw it away since it still had a little green. I've since upgraded tanks and just left it sitting in the sand and it's actually looking swollen and healthy again, with the exception of the bit of skeleton sticking out of it (looks like a bonsai tree with a jin branch, if you're familiar with that hobby at all).

Should I cut off the skeleton or leave it? I don't want to upset the coral further, I'd really like to see it thrive and grow out.
I would leave it. It will most likely cover it again.

Nutramar Foods

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A picture might help, but in my opinion leave it and let it recover.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back