Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this anemone shrimp with what seems to be some sort of parasite on the right side of the shrimp. Is this actually a parasite or is it something benign? And what exactly is this thing on the shrimp?
507C59A1-E375-4D0E-95A1-A8478F8101E8.jpeg
B7C30EFB-AAFD-4A67-937D-288DC438F76C.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Helio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not uncommon for parasitic crustaceans (isopods, etc) to be found on other crusteaceans.
You may wish to, carefully, remove it.
How would you recommend me try to remove it? As it’s so small I’d fear accidentally harming it trying to get it off. Also would this likely spread to all of the other shrimp in my tank if I just put them in as they are (With the weird creature on the anemone shrimp)?

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this anemone shrimp with what seems to be some sort of parasite on the right side of the shrimp. Is this actually a parasite or is it something benign? And what exactly is this thing on the shrimp?View attachment 3064499 View attachment 3064504
It sure looks like a parasitic isopod that latches on under either side of the large part of the carapace near the gills, which is exactly where yours appears to be.

How would you recommend me try to remove it? As it’s so small I’d fear accidentally harming it trying to get it off. Also would this likely spread to all of the other shrimp in my tank if I just put them in as they are (With the weird creature on the anemone shrimp)?
I've read before of people removing them with a needle slid up under the shrimp's carapace and pierced through the isopod, but it is certainly a risk on a tiny shrimp like this. It definitely seems like other shrimp could be at risk if you introduce this shrimp with parasite to your tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Helio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure looks like a parasitic isopod that latches on under either side of the large part of the carapace near the gills, which is exactly where yours appears to be.
I see, that’s what I thought.
I've read before of people removing them with a needle slid up under the shrimp's carapace and pierced through the isopod, but it is certainly a risk on a tiny shrimp like this. It definitely seems like other shrimp could be at risk if you introduce this shrimp with parasite to your tank.
Thank you for this, though do you know of any other methods to get rid of isopod parasites? Like medication or some other less invasive method?

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this, though do you know of any other methods to get rid of isopod parasites? Like medication or some other less invasive method?
I'm not aware of a less-invasive method. Anything that will harm the isopod is also likely to harm the shrimp, as they are both crustaceans.
I have no experience with these, just have read about them and seen pictures of them before in my marine aquarium information-gathering.

Upvote 0

cpoynter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed one from a very small sexy shrimp once. It was a very tedious job as it was so small. I wore magnifying goggles and used a curved dental . You don’t need to pierce it, you just need to get something around it to pull it out from under the carapace. There’s a greater risk of injuring the shrimp if you use a needle - not only is it sharper, you need something curved.

0574D912-03E1-4E3D-AFAC-023F66721ABF.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back