Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 gallon Bowfront with a Fluval 407 canister. I used to have a cheap Nicrew light but had it replaced with 2 AI Primes 16 HD lights. I have them set for all blues at 80% and cool white starting at 20% at 9.30am and decreasing to zero at 7pm. Ramp up/down on blues 1.5 hours before and after. I am using acclimatization starting at 20% of the goal and a 30 day period to reach the 80% setting. The light currently looks similar in par the old Nicrew. For some reason the Zoas were open and looked happy for weeks before I changed/"upgraded" the lights. Zoas are on spread on 2 different rocks on the bottom of the tank.

Now most of the Zoa's have been closed for almost 2 weeks. A couple are fully open and some looks like they are trying to open.
Only changes that were done was the new lights and that I started target feeding the Zoa's with Red Seas AB+.

Parameters:
Temp: 78
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 7.5 (looks a little low, but alkalinity is high)
dKH: 11.8
Ammonia(total): 0.8
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1320

Living in Florida I have the A/C constantly running so Oxygen should not be what is causing a pH issue. Should I use Kalkwasser to increase the pH? The Zoas looked great for the first month, some still does.

I am getting a little frustrated and am considering either throwing out the AI Primes in favor of the old Nicrew OR stop target feeding the Zoa's with AB+. Fish and Acans are looking great.

What should I be focusing on to get the Zoas back open to the way they were?

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

mfollen

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your nitrates
With 5 nitrate, I’d aim for .05 po4.
That’s a good minimum. 10 nitrate and .1 po4 could be a good upper limit for now.

Do not run any gfo. Have enough algae clean up crew.

Google is your friend - lots of information available on this topic

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back