Parameter advice

zellink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all,

Just after advice with parameters please as doing a search revealed conflicting results.

Tank cycled successfully around 4 weeks ago.

Currently have 2 emerald crabs, 2 conch snails, 5 turbo snails, pair of clowns and pair of lyretail anthias. All doing very well, crabs have molted twice, fish all seem happy and feeding very well. I am feeding one cube of frozen brine shrimp a day over 3 feeds.

All of my parameters are spot on I believe except for nitrate and phosphate which are declining to the point nitrate is now reading 0. I use Hanna test kits for everything.

I used the red sea mature kit to cycle and have only dosed coraline growth to increase my KH which has been stable at 8.2 for a while now and I haven't dosed anything in over a week.

Haven't done any water changes or anything as advised there is no need.

Running a RS 250 g2 with reefmat and protein skimmer and have nano tech bio-spheres in the sump.

The RS instructions for the mature kit said I should be aiming for 10ppm nitrate, I don't have any corals but plan to within the next few months.

Are my phosphates and nitrates anything to be concerned about, parameters below:

1727258170234.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping for you.

My only 'side comment' is that feeding only brine and nothing but is an unhealthy diet. Its important to mix it up. Flake and pellet food is formulated to be loaded with vitamins to keep our fish healthy, reef frenzy is the best frozen food you can offer.

eliaslikesfish

Kinda Addicted to Anemone’s and Clowns.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything looks solid except for the nitrates. Adding corals with no nitrates will set most corals up for starvation, to raise it I would first recommend feeding more-maybe add some flakes and frozen mysis to their diet and adding another fish or two will help raise them as well. after that you could try removing your bio-spheres from your filtration as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zellink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything looks solid except for the nitrates. Adding corals with no nitrates will set most corals up for starvation, to raise it I would first recommend feeding more-maybe add some flakes and frozen mysis to their diet and adding another fish or two will help raise them as well. after that you could try removing your bio-spheres from your filtration as well.
Thank you!

Will pick some flakes and mysis later today and start adding them to the feeding routine.

Only added the anthias 2 days ago and have always waited 2 weeks between adding anything additional from advice from my LFS. But will add another fish in a couple of weeks.

I take it one cube + small amount of flakes is enough? They eat the food within a couple of minutes but their behaviour always appears that they are starving as they are all so quick at eating the food and look to still be looking for food once it has all gone but I am conscious of overfeeding.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back