Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spots just showed today on my cup coral? I am not sure what it is if someone can please let me know what it is and what I need to do!!

all levels are normal. I use the corallife light.
Only problem I have been having is I can’t get my phosphates and nitrates up a bit; they remain at zero.

i did have an anemone die recently, two days ago so maybe this can be the result from that? I had a rock fall on the anemone and after that, it declined rapidly.
Other than that, everything else is perfect. Fish are great. Other corals are out and doing well. I have a few Zoas, two Duncan’s, some mushroom corals (rhodactis and a ricordea) clove coral and a Jack-o-lantern leptoseris.

C890B75D-D510-4AC8-B745-7FDAF40416BB.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
These spots just showed today on my cup coral? I am not sure what it is if someone can please let me know what it is and what I need to do!!

all levels are normal. I use the corallife light.
Only problem I have been having is I can’t get my phosphates and nitrates up a bit; they remain at zero.

i did have an anemone die recently, two days ago so maybe this can be the result from that? I had a rock fall on the anemone and after that, it declined rapidly.
Other than that, everything else is perfect. Fish are great. Other corals are out and doing well. I have a few Zoas, two Duncan’s, some mushroom corals (rhodactis and a ricordea) clove coral and a Jack-o-lantern leptoseris.

View attachment 2857950
Very hard to tell due to heavy blue lighting
White lighting best

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White lighting best
My phone makes it seem like it’s heavy but it’s not. It’s 70/30 (white 30%). Corals actually do way better the more blue you have. I have a blue background so it makes it seem super blue. In person it’s just a tint of blue.

My growth and health has increased over 50% putting more blue.

Nutramar Foods

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually coral adapt and change to the color of the lighting they're grown under. The zoanthxelle actually does this process and is a beneficial plant cell that photosynthesis in the coral skin.
This is why coral can brown out or bleach. As well as water conditions can effect this yes. I am one of the rare reefers that prefers a more white light than a blue light and the coral glowing unDer actinic light. Looks fake to me.
D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221011-180545_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221011-180545_Samsung Internet.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 18

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phone makes it seem like it’s heavy but it’s not. It’s 70/30 (white 30%). Corals actually do way better the more blue you have. I have a blue background so it makes it seem super blue. In person it’s just a tint of blue.

I have heard that corals will show some colors only under whiter lighting. An example is the yellow in porites. Also, I think he means to change the light spectrum to a whiter light when you take the picture.

Corals.com
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

White lighting best
@monkeyCmonkeyDo

you can laugh all you want but this coral was nearly dead TWO WEEKS AGO. Now it looks like this. Doesn’t look so blue does it? As I said, my background has blue, it makes the tank seem like it’s more blue than it really is. You can see the blue background in the cup coral image. Depending on the angle I take, the iPhone makes it extremely blue. Look at the other photo of the cup coral from a different angle. This phone sucks

Attachments

• 8C793144-DDE1-40DD-A253-27D195338380.jpeg
    8C793144-DDE1-40DD-A253-27D195338380.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 17
  • 74B28197-9FCC-4C80-8C48-BBF7D5A0107B.jpeg
    74B28197-9FCC-4C80-8C48-BBF7D5A0107B.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6568.MOV
    12.4 MB
  • IMG_5395.MOV
    20.8 MB
  • 5A62B4E8-A4E3-4A90-A4C6-A9739B3F8B73.jpeg
    5A62B4E8-A4E3-4A90-A4C6-A9739B3F8B73.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 3238C35A-8FFC-4E54-8056-D8DACF637854.jpeg
    3238C35A-8FFC-4E54-8056-D8DACF637854.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that corals will show some colors only under whiter lighting. An example is the yellow in porites. Also, I think he means to change the light spectrum to a whiter light when you take the picture.
The reason ur coral grows better under the blues is probably cause the seller grew them under blues as well.
D
No the seller uses white

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue light spectrum, not white, is what corals need for optimum growth. It helps stimulate coral reef calcification, which is the primary measure of growth. In this process, the corals lay down the foundations of their calcium-rich skeletons.

According to a study, blue light also helps increase the number of Zooxanthellae in corals. It helps boost Chlorophyll A levels in these algae as well.

For one, Chlorophyll A can only absorb wavelengths ranging from 440 nm to 675 nm. Blue light, with its shorter waves, only has a wavelength of 450 to 495 nm. Indeed, it’s a perfect fit for the photosynthetic needs of Chlorophyll A.

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue light spectrum, not white, is what corals need for optimum growth. It helps stimulate coral reef calcification, which is the primary measure of growth. In this process, the corals lay down the foundations of their calcium-rich skeletons.

According to a study, blue light also helps increase the number of Zooxanthellae in corals. It helps boost Chlorophyll A levels in these algae as well.

For one, Chlorophyll A can only absorb wavelengths ranging from 440 nm to 675 nm. Blue light, with its shorter waves, only has a wavelength of 450 to 495 nm. Indeed, it’s a perfect fit for the photosynthetic needs of Chlorophyll A.
I am not saying that bluer light doesn’t make corals grow faster; it’s probably true that corals will grow faster under blue light. I’m just saying that corals will show different colors under different lighting. Some pigments, especially non fluorescent ones, will only be seen under white lights.

Johnnynle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This study was using red versus blue light anyhow. Personally, I definitely experienced much faster coral growth running higher whites than just blues alone. Except for deep water acros.

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This study was using red versus blue light anyhow. Personally, I definitely experienced much faster coral growth running higher whites than just blues alone. Except for deep water acros.
I use about 80% blue and 20% white all day. I don’t switch the lights throughout the day. The lights go on at 11am and off at 10:30pm. I know some people do whites part of the day and then blues. I stick to one and just have noticed huge difference running more blues than whites. When I started I used more white, sometimes zero blue. I was getting results but not the results I get now running more blues. Most places you buy frags are in darker blue settings.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

U asked for help and @vetteguy53081 was asking for a pic under white lighting to help u w the spots. Don’t think it was meant to b a debate about spectrum and what’s best for corals for their metabolic needs

OP
OP
fishgirljockey

fishgirljockey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I read his response wrong. The spots went away. It was like someone lit out a cigarette on the coral. It was about 3-4 dark small circle spots on it for a few days. Hasn’t returned tho since. Weird
U asked for help and @vetteguy53081 was asking for a pic under white lighting to help u w the spots. Don’t think it was meant to b a debate about spectrum and what’s best for corals for their metabolic needs

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back