+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy and everyone else here!

I’m in the planning stages for my first serious tank build and I’d be interested in running ozone. I’ve read Randy Holmes-Farley’s extensive articles on the matter, but there are details and specifics relative to my usage that are not present there.

For starters, do you have experience with the Avast Mutiny Gen2? How does it compare to the tubing reactor you conceived and shared in your article?

As for ozone air dryers, I can see it being prudent to opt for the electronic ones immediately and not inconvenience yourself with the desiccant ones that need to be baked. However, I cannot find any resources whatsoever that offer insight into whether to choose the Ozotech IQ-20 or IQ-40 based on tank size or other specifics. I plan on running a system with two display tanks and one sump, so total volume of system will be around 120 gallons, but because of rock and sand I would expect the system water volume to be closer to 90-100 gallons. I still don’t feel I have a definitive answer on whether or not ozone can be run 100% of the time at a lower setting instead of the “only a few hours a day” solution, and that also seems to be a detail relevant to which size air dryer you’d want.

Lastly, I’d be setting this up in my living room of my college apartment, and I am fortunate that living room connects to a sunroom (which I use as my dining room) but since the sunroom has a ton of windows and was clearly an add on, it has terrible insulation. Could I take advantage of that fact and run the ozone from a remote location where excess ozone production can more easily exit my apartment? To accomplish this I would likely need to run pipes the perimeter of the room which would work out to about 35’ of PVC along the floor. Could that be viable or does the ozone reactor need to be right next to the tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll briefly weigh-in on the OzoTech - you'll most likely want the smaller IQ-20 air drier and Poseidon 200. I run my Poseidon 200 (no air drier or pump) 24/7 between 0.25-0.35.

Depending on how you setup your ozone system (skimmer, reactor, etc.) you may not need any external venting. If you run it at a low setting with carbon post-filtration that effectively eliminates any excess/stray ozone (at least from what I've observed).

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back