+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I wanted to try out a ozone generator so I ordered one along with a ORP pen today.
though Im not sure where best to place it in my system.

potential options:
1. ozone output beside UV sterilizer in display overflow chamber via airstone ( tidalgardens mentioned that this is one of the smartest placements, though Im not sure if I agree with the reason. is it better?)

2. in the sump via airstone inline thats already in place under my chaeto ball (is the ozone output hitting my chaeto direcctly going to kill it?)

3. in the sump via airstone and Y connector near the return pump

4. in the sump inline with my recirculating protein skimmer using co2 scrubber media. (placed after co2 scrubber chamber and before venturi) it is recirculating, so i imagine its damp and will be less effective. that point aside - is the co2 scrubber media going to react with the ozone or does it act more like a buffer? is it safe, much more / much less effective?

can you run ozone safely without carbon ? if using the minimum settings, im wishful it wont an issue. 120mg unit, 5 minutes/hr setting =- 10mg/hr ( in a 70 g tank )

Last edited:
Corals.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you implementing the ozone? That is, after generating it in air and sending it down the tubing, how are you adding/mixing it with tank water?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was a good read , not sure of what many materials of my tank are though; like my skimmer, return tubes, - unless its tubing i recently bought. theres still a lot of room for research in ozone use. other members of r2r have stated they have no smell when using it, while also not using carbon, and in your tank it stunk without GAC use.

im gonna have to try out a few different ways, starting with the easiest for me 1. connecting it inline to an airstone, with no GAC for effluent specifically, but rather purigen in the filter area of sump.

if that doesnt work ill try it with my skimmer, or find an open top / open bottom tube and DIY a reactor with an airstone and GAC sort of like you did.

purigen should work the same way as GAC does for this purpose right?
will ozone react with the co2 scrubber media? if i get to the skimmer trial
is a water bottle (SMART water bottle) out of the question for the DIY tube trial? its just easier to manipulate vs pvc pipe etc

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purigen should work the same way as GAC does for this purpose right?
will ozone react with the co2 scrubber media? if i get to the skimmer trial
is a water bottle (SMART water bottle) out of the question for the DIY tube trial? its just easier to manipulate vs pvc pipe etc

No, only GAC provides for catalytic breakdown of ozone and ozone byproducts. Purigen cannot perform that function.

I do not believe ozone will react with CO2 scrubber media.

Many types of plastics will risk becoming brittle in ozone.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
decided im going to go the skimmer route first, cause it provides a reaction chamber and is recirculating so I dont have to worry about air effluent.

and to take care of the water effluent im going the biological route . i already have denitrification media that works well for nitrate (seachem denitrate), so I imagine it would also work well for bromate. im looking for more articles similar to the living seas exhibit - marine research center.

not a fan of GAC (no change indicator, clogs fast), glad theres a biological way!

may have to rethink my co2 scrubber media container down the road, though since its just a water bottle with rodi/diy fittings.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
decided im going to go the skimmer route first, cause it provides a reaction chamber and is recirculating so I dont have to worry about air effluent.

and to take care of the water effluent im going the biological route . i already have denitrification media that works well for nitrate (seachem denitrate), so I imagine it would also work well for bromate. im looking for more articles similar to the living seas exhibit - marine research center.

not a fan of GAC (no change indicator, clogs fast), glad theres a biological way!

may have to rethink my co2 scrubber media container down the road, though since its just a water bottle with rodi/diy fittings.

Just be careful what you expect organisms to accomplish. It's not something that I generally think is best. I've seen reports that folks using a similar system that dump the ozone effluent into a refugium see less algae growth close to the effluent addition point.

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy wow great reading there. blast from the past.. i think i remember when you first published those 3 articles.. i used to live a few blocks from Jose D. back in the 90s. That dude inspired me alot. the 90s is when those articles came out if my memory serves?.

I swear by ozone for water clarity.. Great thread

Jesmann

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Randy wow great reading there. blast from the past.. i think i remember when you first published those 3 articles.. i used to live a few blocks from Jose D. back in the 90s. That dude inspired me alot. the 90s is when those articles came out if my memory serves?.

I swear by ozone for water clarity.. Great thread
Ill be looking for help, Id like to set up ozone on my 550gal system. What equipment would you reccomend for this size. And are there any extra fail safes i can add? Mabby another neptune pm1 and second orp probe for redundancy?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to a question op had would it be ok to have the output of the ozone going into a UV to “breakdown o3”?

It's a complicated question, including the fact that ozone fairly quickly turns into other things in seawater that will have different breakdown properties.

It will accelerate the breakdown of ozone, but I also would not assume the products of that reaction are necessarily nontoxic.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back