Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been watching a lot of videos on ozone use and am thinking of giving it a try. However, I'm not sure I'd want to use my primary skimmer for gas exchange. Does anyone have any suggestions or idea to accomplish this?

I know some people have a secondary skimmer dedicated to ozone. I also know I've seen some people sell an in line vacuum air pump (brs tv sells them I know). Anyone have any experience using one of these? Has anyone tried using a basic reactor and modifying it to take ozone?

Interested to hear anyone's experience with this. Just some info on my tank in case it might be helpful:

72 g bowfront that has been up and running for 1 year 3 months; 20 g bottom sump with primary filtration, bio filtration, carbon, biopellets, and refugium

Thanks all!

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd only want to use your skimmer if it's ozone-compatible. And even ozone-compatible skimmers still need to have one or two minor parts replaced with titanium to avoid eventual deterioration. I run a Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer with an OzoTech Poseidon 200 that feeds directly into the skimmer, and then I have a Stink Sink on top of it to capture stray ozone (something you'll need to factor in with a reactor).

Check out the Avast reactor setup for ozone and it will give you a better idea of what's involved.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of ways to use ozone that do not use skimmers, and they are probably better than using a skimmer. Typically they involve a commercial or DIY reactor where you allow the water and ozone to mix, then pass over GAC before the water gets back to the tank.

BRS
OP
OP
O

Orsini26

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of ways to use ozone that do not use skimmers, and they are probably better than using a skimmer. Typically they involve a commercial or DIY reactor where you allow the water and ozone to mix, then pass over GAC before the water gets back to the tank.
Interesting. I wonder if I could use a separate external skimmer pump and hook that up to a small reactor to avoid using space in my sump. It would be a bit of diy but maybe that would be the easiest way to combine the ozone with the water

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back