Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired my CDL and just got a position that will have me away from home a week at a time. My wife is busy, and likely won’t be able to monitor or do water changes. I have a 10g softie reef; does anyone think it’s possible to do, or should I just sell and save myself the heartache?

Avast

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel a week at a time often but have the benefit of someone who is willing to feed my tank. I have found it hard to maintain water changes and other weekly maintenance though when the weeks start piling up as you just get exhausted. Thus my only algae outbreaks happened then.

I think it really depends on how committed you are and whether that commitment will last when you only have the weekend.

tsharpe129

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired my CDL and just got a position that will have me away from home a week at a time. My wife is busy, and likely won’t be able to monitor or do water changes. I have a 10g softie reef; does anyone think it’s possible to do, or should I just sell and save myself the heartache?
Smaller tanks are less forgiving when things go wrong or are left unattended for days at a time. Automation helps if you’re willing to go down that rabbit hole, or should I say money pit. Lol

Top Shelf Aquatics

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I routinely do 4-6 week trips and leave the tank completely unattended. In fact I just returned a week ago from a trip that started mid November.

BUT, I have a lot of automation and testing running on a very stable tank

So yes it is possible.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible but being a 10 gallon, needs to be bullet proof.
Set up the automation and test it while your home for every scenario you can think of.
My finest automation, imo, is my ato. When the water can is empty, a float switch tells the rodi to turn on and fill it back up then shut off again. I love it. No more flooded basements.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I routinely do 4-6 week trips and leave the tank completely unattended. In fact I just returned a week ago from a trip that started mid November.

BUT, I have a lot of automation and testing running on a very stable tank

So yes it is possible.
This. I prolly wouldn't do a 10g, but it can be done. I'm in the 100-150 day a year travel club myself, you have to believe in automation, full stop.

Avast
OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies! I set up a 10g, cause I can’t afford a larger set up rn. We’re planning on moving as well. I may get a HOB ATO, but aside from that, automation is relatively out of the question (as far as custom building a sump for it with a built-in gasoline generator). Hopefully this career will help me be able to upgrade to a stable system with apex, sump, etc :)

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies! I set up a 10g, cause I can’t afford a larger set up rn. We’re planning on moving as well. I may get a HOB ATO, but aside from that, automation is relatively out of the question (as far as custom building a sump for it with a built-in gasoline generator). Hopefully this career will help me be able to upgrade to a stable system with apex, sump, etc :)
Sounds good!
I see you're in my area so if you ever want some free frags or macroalgae hit me up.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back