Overkill- or just right? - Return Pump and Skimmer for 175 gallon dream tank build

Ecotech Marine

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Reefers- a question from the UK!

After a handful of years in reefing with a Red Sea 170, we have now decided to go all in and build our dream tank.

175 gallon custom build system to fit a space of just over 4 feet. The system will have a somewhat heavy bio load with many coral- and most of all, a heavy stock of compatible fish!

The system will have a large refugium and will be build to accommodate ’the Triton method’.

Two pieces of equipment where i would like some input from the Pro’s are on my planned Return Pump and Protein Skimmer:

Note: I am fully aware that it is fairly pricy equipment ;-)

Return Pump: Abyzz A200 (inspired by the BRS 160)

Protein Skimmer: Royal Exclusiv Bubble King Deluxe 200

Question: Overkill- or just right?

Cheers!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

RGoltz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A200 seems like overkill for a return pump, IMO. Unless you are planning a closed loop or need to address significant head pressure, this is more water than you are likely to move through the sump of a 175 gallon system. You might look at the Red Dragon Speedy 3.

Regarding the skimmer, there are several lines with Royal Exclusive. You should speak with an expert to make sure you get a skimmer that fits your requirements (bioload, physical size, and desired skimming style being the factors). I would also look at UltraReef.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A200 seems like overkill for a return pump, IMO. Unless you are planning a closed loop or need to address significant head pressure, this is more water than you are likely to move through the sump of a 175 gallon system. You might look at the Red Dragon Speedy 3.

Regarding the skimmer, there are several lines with Royal Exclusive. You should speak with an expert to make sure you get a skimmer that fits your requirements (bioload, physical size, and desired skimming style being the factors). I would also look at UltraReef.
Thank you for your reply and feedback! :)

I have given the Red Dragon pumps a look as well, however, I find it quite hard to figure out how to dimension them to my setup.

I might give Royal Exclusiv a message!

Nutramar Foods

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above the Abyzz would be overkill except for a basement sump.
A good DC pump under the tank will suffice. Something in the 10-12,000 liter size.
If planning a roller filter too you should undersize the skimmer because the bio load drops.
I would look @ a Deltec skimmer. I have not had the best luck with Red Dragon Pumps.

C_AWOL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your planned mechanical filtration, you might want to ask royalexclusiv/sleif for advice on their skimmer recommendation. A roller mat will heavily affect skimmer function ime for example.

As far as the abyzz is concerned, it might be worth considering a different pump to allocate capital to other equipment or unintended purchases

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tank Stop
Back