Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice on overflows for my new tank. In the past all of my tanks have been internal overflows. My new tank will have an external overflow but which one. I was originally planning on either a shadow or an EZhopps but I keep hearing about leaks or cracks. How reliable are the notched exterior glass overflow?

Thanks

David

Avast
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that seems like the simplest and cheapest option if you have the space.
Yes unfortunately maybe on the floor as well, but it depends on how you go about it, it is no different than and internal overflow but the standpipe needs to be protected.l

How big is your tank? What is your budget?

Top Shelf Aquatics

DCR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either go with Exotic Marine or Modular Marine over the Shadow or Eshopps. Depending on whether you want slots (EM) or teeth (MM) for the internal box. I have a 24" and 36" Exotic Marine on separate tanks. I do have to get fish out of the boxes occasionally, but they skim real well and are quiet. I prefer them to an internal box.

Edit: Fiji Cube also makes a good overflow I believe

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dolphis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either go with Exotic Marine or Modular Marine over the Shadow or Eshopps. Depending on whether you want slots (EM) or teeth (MM) for the internal box. I have a 24" and 36" Exotic Marine on separate tanks. I do have to get fish out of the boxes occasionally, but they skim real well and are quiet. I prefer them to an internal box.

Edit: Fiji Cube also makes a good overflow I believe
I use a Fiji Cube overflow and while it works and is quiet using a bean animal configuration, I wouldn’t purchase it again. The thing warps easily, and while it hasn’t leaked, it is a concern in the long run.
Also, one of the bulkheads that connects the internal weir box to the external flow box, would leak.
And the external flow box is surprisingly cramped/small - had to get adapters to fit the pipes inside the box.

I also have their 40G breeder sump kit with similar warping and ill-fitting issues.
Like I said, it works, but not worth the price - there’s better out there for sure

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back