Overdosed Cal, water changes not helping?

Guy25

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a rather challenging reef due to size, 15 gallon mixed reef. The reef itself is 3 months old, although the live rock used from other setup is 5+ years. I made a pretty bad dosing mistake, but instead of affecting the parameters i was expecting ( Alk/PH ) I screwed up the calcium!?

- I decided to start dosing seachems kalk as some of the SPS/LPS began to grow and soak up Alk/Ca and wanted to try it. problem was, It wasn't having much affect on either PH or Alk, so i began increasing dosage accordingly.

- The kalk label instructed 1tsp per 1 gal, mix to dissolve in RODI water, then increase dosage until stable PH 8.1-8.3 is achieved. So in my mind, I'm going to monitor Alk and PH and increase dosage accordingly, but didn't think much of the CA. I increased incrementally over a couple weeks. I started with 5ml, and saw zero change in Alk or PH, so around week 2, i jumped it two 10ml. Still now change, so jumped it to 20ml. Saw Ph change from 7.8 at night, to 8.0, but again, no change in Alk.

Parameters before anything was dosed to tank:
Alk 8.3
Ca 421
MG 1351
PH 7.8 - 8.1

- After I changed the dosage to 20ml, there was a bad alk swing about two days ago. ( -2.0 dkh ) and obviously coral and myself flipped out. Params then were as follows :

Alk 6.5
CA 832
MG - 1351
PH 7.8 - 8.1
Salinity - 1.025 ( IO Reef Crystals )
Temp 79

- Did two several 60% WC until this evening, to raise the dkh by 1.0 each day back to where it has been, also assuming the CA would return to normal as well. However, the CA is still off the charts for both test kits I'm using ( over 500 on Salifert, and over the 875 on the Trident that has been hooked up to it ).

- I'm reading different information on the CA precipitating, but it seems this was likely the cause of the Alk swing. I feel like I should have noticed the increase in CA much much much sooner? I was testing Alk twice a day, and the CA maybe once a week, which was my fault. I noticed the rise in CA from the usual 421, to 465 right before the alk swing, but I didn't think that was enough to cause any alarm.

A couple of questions to anyone still reading, any input is appreciated. Am I correct to assume bad batch of kalk? Does anyone know the chemistry going on behind this? I just want to know the details of the chemistry behind what went wrong, and what if anything is holding the CA so high. Is there a reason why two 60% WC a day apart are still having CA read off the charts? the corals appear slightly agitated, but so serious deaths...yet ( frogspawn, monti, birdsnest, gsp, zoas to name a few ), and fish seem fine too. Should I take further action besides the large water changes? ( I checked my source water also, its reading 1 TDS...)

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Guy25

Guy25

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the Trident right now and just use the Salifert (the Trident may be way off if you've used the stock calibration fluid).
Thanks for the reply, but how come? It usually hit the parameters spot on from the label on the calibration fluid, and the box of reagents it came in was only 3 weeks old.

After another WC, the trident read 803 Cal which I guess is improvement, but Salifert still off the chart.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get readings beyond 500 with the salifert by getting another ml of titrant. Reading is 5ppm for every 0.01ml added beyond the first ml in addition to the 500ppm already measured by the first ml.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see how you got to 800 ppm calcium.

Do you have a link to the material you are calling kalk?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the link to what I used. It says the only ingredient is calcium hydroxide.

OK, so I'm not seeing how you get to 800 ppm using that product.

Boosting calcium by 400 ppm with it boosts alk by 56 dKH, and presumably that isn't happening. lol

I think test error is more likely than that Seachem put the wrong product in the bottle.

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure you didn't mix up the bottles and accidentally use this instead? Bottle looks almost identical minus the name. Both say raises calcium.

World Wide Corals

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The formula is thus;

Quid = Great British Pennies x 10 (power of 2)

:)

edit, maybe divided by not multiplied buy, lol

We only have regular pennies, no great ones. :(

OP
OP
Guy25

Guy25

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I'm not seeing how you get to 800 ppm using that product.

Boosting calcium by 400 ppm with it boosts alk by 56 dKH, and presumably that isn't happening. lol

I think test error is more likely than that Seachem put the wrong product in the bottle.
You were right - apparently both means of testing were faulty. I did 4 more 50% water changes over the next few days, ordered a new CA test kit, and low and behold it measured at 480. Still a bit high, but at least in the ball park of what I was expecting. I wonder if the way Trident runs its tests just messed up its readings as the CA was brought down. And I guess my Salifert CA test went bad after only 6 weeks. But a big thank you for the help.

Side bar - I noticed on the side of my fish food ingredients list it mentions calcium carbonate as a ingredient. Considering there is only a single clown fish in the tank and I don't feed heavily, this wouldn't have really contributed at all correct? I'm not seeing it as an ingredient in other brands of fish food, was just curious if you have ever seen food being a culprit in CA rising.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side bar - I noticed on the side of my fish food ingredients list it mentions calcium carbonate as a ingredient. Considering there is only a single clown fish in the tank and I don't feed heavily, this wouldn't have really contributed at all correct? I'm not seeing it as an ingredient in other brands of fish food, was just curious if you have ever seen food being a culprit in CA rising.

Calcium carbonate is the same material in rock and sand and coral skeletons, so it won't dissolve very much loose in the tank, although a tiny bit may dissolve in the stomach of animals that eat it.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back