Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned in another question i posted, I was lucky enough to get a deal on a nice pair of Orphec Atlantic v4 Gen 1s and 2 4 ft orphec bars. This is my 1st time (or knowing anyone) using orphec so I'm pretty clueless.

The lights came with the gateway 2, but im under the impression that only works with the gen 2s and not mine. Its hard finding any info on the Gen 1s and their controller options.

Question 1: Should I just suck it up and upgrade the operating system to icon or is there a way to work with the gateway 2? Upgrading is what I'm leaning towards.

Q2: Is it worth doing without the led upgrade. I should still get the wireless controllability correct? If I upgrade I plan to do the LEDs in the future so it doesn't hurt my pocket all at once.

Q3: is upgrading the LEDs also worth it (when i end up doing it) Do i get more controllability or just different color variations?

Thanks in advance. A lot of questions but want to get this figured out before the tank is up. anybody who has experience upgrading these lights or using in general would be a huge help.

Note: hopefully i posted in the right place. Been lurking on and off for years but rarely post. If not I apologize ahead of time.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suck it up and upgrade the PCB and the control system to avoid the burned up led issues and having to upgrade the LED's later on any way. My advice is to upgrade your v4's to ICON's completely and add the aluminum top for extra heat dissapation. This will make you a solid light that will last a long time.

You can upgrade the control system all by itself which will allow you to use the new icon system. They have upgrade paths for both. You will then use your existing LED's across the six channels.

The ICON PCb's are different spectrum than what you have so they will look and operate different.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
TannerC91

TannerC91

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suck it up and upgrade the PCB and the control system to avoid the burned up led issues and having to upgrade the LED's later on any way. My advice is to upgrade your v4's to ICON's completely and add the aluminum top for extra heat dissapation. This will make you a solid light that will last a long time.

You can upgrade the control system all by itself which will allow you to use the new icon system. They have upgrade paths for both. You will then use your existing LED's across the six channels.

The ICON PCb's are different spectrum than what you have so they will look and operate
So if I only upgrade the control system it might cause problems with the original leds? It's a big difference in price so was hoping to do the control system first and then the leds in the near future. I did notice the icons have aluminum top panel while mine has acrylic. I didn't realize I could buy the aluminum top as i didnt see it on their website. I don't hate the look either (of course the better heat dissapation too)
Thanks for the reply

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it will not cause any problems. It will actually solve the problem you currently have with controlling the unit. If money is an issue you can just upgrade the control system.

You can keep all other original parts. It will upgrade your current 4 channel design to the new 6 channel design. And of course the wifi ability to use the app. Just be sure to follow directions on controller for plugging in the cables for v4.

That is a huge upgrade than what you currently have all in itself. Well worth the money

Corals.com
OP
OP
TannerC91

TannerC91

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it will not cause any problems. It will actually solve the problem you currently have with. ....
Perfect. That's what I was hoping. It's not too much to just upgrade the control system. I was leaning towards that to get the wireless control and hoping I'd still get more channels with original leds. Doesn't look too hard to do either. I do think I prefer the aluminum top for looks too.
The new fans with the aluminum would surely help cool it down and bring the fan noise down since it's adaptive.

Thanks for the help.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back