Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after changing my mind a million times I finally settled on a purple tang, large wrasse, foxface rabbit fish, one or two paired angels, and the porcupine puffer! Which order should I add them in? I’m so anxious and excited to get fish in the tank. Hewbie is excited too! Would it be terrible if I put the porcupine puffer in first but I think it would be best to put him in last right?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after changing my mind a million times I finally settled on a purple tang, large wrasse, foxface rabbit fish, one or two paired angels, and the porcupine puffer! Which order should I add them in? I’m so anxious and excited to get fish in the tank. Hewbie is excited too! Would it be terrible if I put the porcupine puffer in first but I think it would be best to put him in last right?
I have not had any problems with adding order on puffers. I think you wrasses and or your angels should be last. Really depends on the angels. Also if adding more than one species of angels, I would QT and introduce all at the same time. May have to artificially elevate your bio load by overfeeding or something, but like tangs, some angels will not get along with others if they have their territory layer out first.
As for the wrasse, I have a Sunset (Thalassoma lutescens) for two years who has been a model tank mate with all new additions, he was one of the first. However earlier today I added a Harlequin Tuskfish and a Broomtail Wrasse and Hank the Sunset has chased them into hiding. I have the tank dark to try to allow them to settle.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had any problems with adding order on puffers. I think you wrasses and or your angels should be last. Really depends on the angels. Also if adding more than one species of angels, I would QT and introduce all at the same time. May have to artificially elevate your bio load by overfeeding or something, but like tangs, some angels will not get along with others if they have their territory layer out first.
As for the wrasse, I have a Sunset (Thalassoma lutescens) for two years who has been a model tank mate with all new additions, he was one of the first. However earlier today I added a Harlequin Tuskfish and a Broomtail Wrasse and Hank the Sunset has chased them into hiding. I have the tank dark to try to allow them to settle.
So I wasn’t going to mix angels or tangs! You shouldn’t/can’t do that? I guess it depends on the fish and species and tank size right?

AquaCave Logo Banner

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wasn’t going to mix angels or tangs! You shouldn’t/can’t do that? I guess it depends on the fish and species and tank size right?
I see you said one or two paired angels I read as one or two pairs. And yes the Tang Police will knock on your door or overtake your thread, but I successfully keep multiple tangs in all of my reefs. I have 5 different tangs and two magnificent rabbits in my 210 reef. I’m not sure that tank size is any more important for mixing than it is just because tangs are cruisers and so smaller tanks are more stressful for them. Obviously the bigger the tank the more area they have to set territories. I also have 4 tangs and a larger orange potted rabbit in my 110g. My secret has been to QT and introduce at the same time, or introduce with a substantial change in the rock work so they can come to terms with their territories. I also try to mix and match subspecies so not all ancanthurus etc.
however when I did my major reset adding the RedSea S1000, I ended up with a sailfin and desjardini. Planned one for each tank, but the Sailfin came in twice the size of the lieutenant, lavender, powder blue and blue eyed kole so I took a chance and put it in the 210 with the desjardini. Fortunately for me it worked. They flash and chase each other at times, and other times they act like a mates pair. I have had similar luck with mixing angels. A passers, Queen, French all larger and a xanthrus and teen imperator. However I ended up adding a bella goby that I took out of QT way too early because I was afraid it was starving and it apparently had ich and wiped out the whole tank.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back