Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what this is? Have a couple others on different parts of the glass. It's been growing as well.

20230221_182048.jpg

AS

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nutramar Foods

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, best pic I can get and zoomed as much as I could. hard getting the camera to focus.
Okay. It is hard to see, but looks like they have terminal hydranths at the end of their "tubes". It would be better if we could see the structures more clearly. Let's wait for the more seasoned experts to weigh in.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is not hydroids but the white tendrils suggest a type of sponge similar to phylum and one I dont desire in my tank as they grow and move at a steady pace

OP
OP
mikmeh

mikmeh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not hydroids but the white tendrils suggest a type of sponge similar to phylum and one I dont desire in my tank as they grow and move at a steady pace
Okay. It is hard to see, but looks like they have terminal hydranths at the end of their "tubes". It would be better if we could see the structures more clearly. Let's wait for the more seasoned experts to weigh in.

Pulled out my DSLR and did my best with manual focus. Images are too large to attach, linking to them below. thanks all for the help! (Also battling cyano and some sort of purple hair algae stuff, ugh.)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Pulled out my DSLR and did my best with manual focus. Images are too large to attach, linking to them below. thanks all for the help! (Also battling cyano and some sort of purple hair algae stuff, ugh.)

Great pics!!
For the cyano:
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
mikmeh

mikmeh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the great advice! Tank is 5 weeks from being a year old. I've been adding bacteria daily for a couple days now. I just shut the skimmer off, there are a lot of bubbles as u can prob tell from the pics. Have several hermits, turbos, nassarius in my cuc. Phosguard in my filters, dropped p04 from 0.5 to 0.25. I'll start doing more water changes.

I can't adjust the light intensity, would turning them off for that long kill the very small amount of coral I have? Frag of zoas and a frag of anthelia.

World Wide Corals

Northwest_Scapes_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what these are! Albeit I forgot the name which I'll have to go back and get but they're completely harmless. They're organisms that feed on small, microscopic foods like phyto. They're super cool, each day you see them, they'll be in a different shape. They seem to just appear and go away on their own like a lot of different oddities that pop up. I'd say leave them alone, they don't get big at all and just kind of chill there. I had about 3 in my tank that I saw but they're neat. They can be on the rocks too but again, won't harm anything

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are referring to this, but not sure if it's the correct ID.

Post in thread 'Aliens going towards the light' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aliens-going-towards-the-light.954877/post-10877082
I wondered if they were meaning Labyrinthula, but this looks different enough from the rest of the stuff that has been tentatively ID’ed as Labyrinthula that I second guessed that.
Could it be a basket star?
No, basket star’s still have the central disk and radial symmetry like brittle stars and true starfish - this doesn’t have either, and this has fine tentacles sticking out of the ends of the branches and little knobs along the branches. That said, this also isn’t a sponge. It’s unlike any hydroids I’m familiar with (the growth pattern and tentacle length mainly are what’s leading me away from thinking it’s a hydroid species, but that seems like one of the most likely options so far.

It’s very interesting, whatever it is, OP. Personally, I’d let it grow out and see what it turns out to look like. Since you mentioned you have multiple growths like this, I’d see if you can’t transfer one to your sump (assuming you have one) in case it turns out to be potentially harmful to livestock.

BRS

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm letting it grow, it's expanded a bit. Wish it ate red turf algae :p I may be adding some urchins, but idk. Kind of want to give up since all I've done for nearly a year is battle algae.
New pics?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting bigger
That’s cool. Is it hard or soft? I’ve been reefing a long time, but can’t say I’ve seen anything like that. Hopefully it won’t escape and eat somebody :)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back