Orange Shoulder tang

Krad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi R2R,

In the process of setting up a 200g IM EXT and have a stocking question. Is it a good idea to introduce a orange shoulder tang early on in the fish stocking phase? I know they are considered pretty passive from what I've read and I am getting a small juvenile if possible. I just finished scaping and will include a picture below, should be plenty of swimming room and hiding spots.

Most likely the first fish will be a pair of clowns, and was wondering if the tang could be next.

Current stocking plan:

clown pair
orange shoulder tang
cardinals or chormis trio(on the fence)
reef safe wrasse(s) most likely melanrus or mystery
bristletooth/yellow tang
anthias, lyre tails and squarebacks
????
purple tang as the last fish

Does this make sense, I am open to suggestions and trying to keep the tank as reef safe as possible. Will be a SPS/LPS dominate tank.

Thank you!

IMG_1720.jpeg

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

In the process of setting up a 200g IM EXT and have a stocking question. Is it a good idea to introduce a orange shoulder tang early on in the fish stocking phase? I know they are considered pretty passive from what I've read and I am getting a small juvenile if possible. I just finished scaping and will include a picture below, should be plenty of swimming room and hiding spots.

Most likely the first fish will be a pair of clowns, and was wondering if the tang could be next.

Current stocking plan:

clown pair
orange shoulder tang
cardinals or chormis trio(on the fence)
reef safe wrasse(s) most likely melanrus or mystery
bristletooth/yellow tang
anthias, lyre tails and squarebacks
????
purple tang as the last fish

Does this make sense, I am open to suggestions and trying to keep the tank as reef safe as possible. Will be a SPS/LPS dominate tank.

Thank you!

IMG_1720.jpeg
Dont see an issue as long as it is a baby, but they can get aggressive the bigger they are

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 foot 135 with an orange shoulder. He’s submissive to the other tangs and has held onto his juvenile colors for the three years I’ve had him.

My purple used to rule the tank, but the sailfin has outgrown him. Add the purple last for sure!
IMG_1563.jpeg
IMG_1389.jpeg

Last edited:

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange shoulder is passive. I’ve never seen him in any fight.

He was my first tang in my tank, so I don’t have experience with adding them later. I’ve had several tangs with him, and I’ve never had an issue.

N2SWIMN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rock work. Like the arches. I have a juvenile orange shoulder too and added him before the other tangs in a 180. Atlantic Blue tang, (Dori), blonde Naso, blue tang, Desjardini tang. From my list, the Desjardini was the most aggressive. I did do the mirror trick for both ends of the tank to help with aggression.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 foot 135 with an orange shoulder. He’s submissive to the other tangs and has held onto his juvenile colors for the three years I’ve had him.

My purple used to rule the tank, but the sailfin has outgrown him. Add the purple last for sure!
IMG_1563.jpeg
IMG_1389.jpeg
Thats cool! Love the sailfin! And thats good to know about them being passive, my cousin must have had a oddball then! He had to give it up it was so aggressive to new editions lol fish and their personalities!

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple is the most aggressive, but all my tangs dislike new tangs.

I second the old mirror trick that N2SWIMN mentioned above. Adding multiple fish at once helps too.

OP
OP
K

Krad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think my current plan is start with the CUC then clowns.

Then after they settle in get the orange shoulder and maybe 3-4 cardinals?

Changed my mind about chromis I kinda forgot they peck at each other unless you get a big group and I don’t want 10-11 of them.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back