Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I bought a rbta from a local reefer on this forum. It was cheap and I was warned he had minor damage on his foot. I got him in the tank last night and he attached to some rubble I had. He was puffy and looking good. On lunch today I went to check on him. He is still attached, but his oral disk has been perforated by the rock. Either this is the damage the seller warned me about, or it's something new. Either way I'm here for a general consensus on this guy. Will he make it? He is delfaed compared to last night. Clearly the rock is right through the center of the disk. He hasn't attempted to move at all.

20230109_121929.jpg 20230109_121807.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are lucky it is trying to heal a badly damaged foot by splitting. However I am concerned that your tank may be too new to provide it the stable conditions needed for recovery. Either way, I wish you good luck.
The tank is about 7 months old, which puts it in the recommended range for a BTA, as far as I've read. It has Corralline algae growing, as well as a good population of pods.

I use a single AI Hydra 32 mounted on an AI arm about 12 inches from the top of the tank.

Salinity 1.026
Alk 9.4
Calcium 450
Mag 1600
Nitrate 20ppm
Ammonia 0
Temp 76.5-77.5 throughout the day/night

OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are lucky it is trying to heal a badly damaged foot by splitting. However I am concerned that your tank may be too new to provide it the stable conditions needed for recovery. Either way, I wish you good luck.
What is your recommended tank age for adding a BTA?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
D

Dr4gula.f32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seven months should be fine. I was thinking it was younger based on the growth on rocks facing towards the light, and the small amount of red slime on the glass.
Understandable. This piece of rubble in the photo spent most of the 7 months buried in the sand bed. It does look pretty fresh. In the background you can see my ugly rock.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

First Choice
Back