Opinions Needed, to Pistol or not to Pistol?

BRS

Warfilter42

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a candy cane pistol that's through QT that I had planned to pair with my YWG. The only wrinkle is that my Tailspot and YWG - the first two fish I've added to my 20g display - are best buds. The tailspot, which I was afraid would be aggressive towards the YWG, likes to snuggle up with him.

Should I add the candy cane pistol as planned? I'm probably applying too emotion to this, but don't want the tailspot to lose his buddy. I have heard of some instances where the pistol accepts a goby AND another fish. Don't want the tailspot getting popped or bein' lonely.

Pics of the buddies for reference.

20230221_130803.jpg 20230130_121416.jpg 20230125_155904.jpg 20230124_165549.jpg

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every few weeks he would switch sides of the tank. Anything in his way was murdered. Snails, cardinal fish, hermit crabs even a royal Gramma that was in a hole that he wanted. I could hear him at night. One click it was just a warning but if I heard a few in a row I knew something was getting unalived. The problem was he'd move at night when all the fish were holed up for the night and had no where to go. On the bright side he did get rid of my acan loving peppermint shrimp.

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first I'm hearing of pistols killing fish.

Even the non-symbiotic ones shouldn't hurt much but other smaller shrimp.

How positive are you that's a tiger pistol? They usually snap and retreat, successive snaps sounds more like mantis behavior.

AquaCave Logo Banner

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first I'm hearing of pistols killing fish.

Even the non-symbiotic ones shouldn't hurt much but other smaller shrimp.

How positive are you that's a tiger pistol? They usually snap and retreat, successive snaps sounds more like mantis behavior.
Yes I'm sure it was the tiger pistol shrimp. He's gone now and the killing stopped. Oh and he also wrecked a brittle star and a sand sifting star. He was pretty good size though id say right around the size of my pinky finger.

brclark82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG and Tiger pistol pair are my favorite in my tank…the pistol spends ALL day moving sand around and arranging their burrow while the goby just sits and warns him if anything comes near…they are both always out all day long and the pistol is always shoving sand somewhere or moving an empty crab shell like decoration

It has only been about a month but I’ve even seen some snails come right to his front door and he checks them out but then moves on so hopefully he doesn’t get more aggressive as he gets older but for now I love watching them

Nutramar Foods

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Candycane pistols should be pretty well-behaved, but I don't know whether the watchman would be able to somehow 'vouch' for the blenny, and that is a very cute pair. Maybe wait awhile and see if they stay buddied up like that.

OP
OP
Warfilter42

Warfilter42

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candycane pistols should be pretty well-behaved, but I don't know whether the watchman would be able to somehow 'vouch' for the blenny, and that is a very cute pair. Maybe wait awhile and see if they stay buddied up like that.
That's exactly what I plan to do at this point. Wait to see if the honeymoon period ends at any point. If so, I'll toss the candy cane in.

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure get a pistol, you wont see it 90% of the time. They are areally cool creature but just not for me. My personal fav for a visible crab are porcelain crabs, they are always out.
mine is put pretty frequently, guess I got lucky. Mine isn't aggressive at all. I'm curious to see how my ywg and pistol react to a mandarin I have coming in.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back