Opinions/advice on regal angelfish yellow belly vs gray ??

kbarr31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs keeps getting regal angelfish and I’ve been seriously considering getting one. I was going to buy this little guy but another customer advised against it, he said gray bellies don’t really do well in general and in the long run don’t make it as he said “they just end up dying” as opposed to yellow bellies. Was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this matter or advice, should I get the gray belly or find a yellow belly? Do gray bellies really not do well in the long run compared to yellow bellies ? I couldn’t really find anything online about the “longevity” of gray bellies vs yellow bellies.

IMG_3584.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Imo ,yellow belly captive bred is best option to get to eat and not be so skittish ?
20240921_161309.jpg

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs keeps getting regal angelfish and I’ve been seriously considering getting one. I was going to buy this little guy but another customer advised against it, he said gray bellies don’t really do well in general and in the long run don’t make it as he said “they just end up dying” as opposed to yellow bellies. Was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this matter or advice, should I get the gray belly or find a yellow belly? Do gray bellies really not do well in the long run compared to yellow bellies ? I couldn’t really find anything online about the “longevity” of gray bellies vs yellow bellies.

IMG_3584.jpeg
Not entirely accurate statement.

A lot of grey bellies come from areas of the world where the collection, shipping and distribution process often has them arriving in poor condition. There is nothing about the grey belly that genetically makes them unfit for long term captive survival.

An example of poor collection could be use of dynamite or cyanide to collect, which can have damning consequences down the road.

Indonesia tends to be one of the worst places you can buy fish from in todays market, the overall quality of fish is often poorer than other sources due to distribution process

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow belly i got about 3 months ago, hasn't grew much. Was quarantine with coppersafe for 30 days at 2.5ppm and 2 rounds of prazipro. It only eats nori, flakes and pellets. Will not even go for frozen. Out in the open most of the time and holds his own with sailfin, yellow, tomini, and lieutenant tangs. It bullies my flameback dwarf angel when he sees it, but nothing serious. I just like the yellow belly more in appearance and I've read that the red sea ones were the best

Attachments

• 20240926_110810.jpg
    20240926_110810.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 7

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow belly i got about 3 months ago, hasn't grew much. Was quarantine with coppersafe for 30 days at 2.5ppm and 2 rounds of prazipro. It only eats nori, flakes and pellets. Will not even go for frozen. Out in the open most of the time and holds his own with sailfin, yellow, tomini, and lieutenant tangs. It bullies my flameback dwarf angel when he sees it, but nothing serious. I just like the yellow belly more in appearance and I've read that the red sea ones were the best
Thats a good problem to have.

They tend to go for clam pretty readily, both shaved frozen pieces or on the half shell.

Recommend buying whole manilla clam and freeze for 2 weeks. The hikari ones are already split and become freezer burnt, the fish dont like them.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back