opinion question: which manufacture makes the safest tanks-from leakage etc.

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably some others have read some of my [in]famous threads or posts. I'm rather new in this hobby but I'm already looking forward to upgrading and getting a bigger tank later several months from now I would suppose, but currently I live in an upstairs apartment. I currently own a 10 week old G2 Max 200, which my thinking was the G2 system being very thick and having reinforced seams in the corners is likely among the safest tanks absent any operator error. It would be a disaster for me if there was some form of water breach. my renters insurance would only cover damages it if it was not from a leak. there's some mitigation in my fear in that I have leak detectors an an app that alerts me. but who knows if I wasn't home or what not. So I would like to select it's somewhere between 75 to 100 gallon. Preferably I would like the Red Sea to 250 or 300. But I'm wondering if there are higher quality or rather safer tanks being made. I haven't heard anything about any G2 problems. I know the G1 generation had issues and any manufacturer can have one out of a thousand tank problem and then that becomes a big thread and everyone becomes concerned and it goes viral. But overall what is considered like highest grade tank manufacturer that is safe from any water breach or crack or leaking? I really am attracted to the red Sea packages. Because for example I got a red max G2 and it was AIO. I did not have to worry about really trying to integrate different protein skimmers , reef mats, etc. because everything was already fully integrated, which is pretty dummy proof in terms of, getting things arranged the first time. I had mine installed by the lfs but my learning curve is continual. Besides all that I mean yeah I would like a red sea, but I'm not sure whether they are the highest grade safest quality glass tanks or not.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see an acrylic tank in your future if you want no seam leaks. That's your best bet.

Side question: why do you call a skimmer a "scammer"?
speech text did that. I think I corrected it now in edit.
I definitely want to avoid a cube for my next tank, I want to it be longer than high because I have a juvenile tang and I want to be able to keep it as long as I can and besides that it's less pounds per inch, which is good for an upstairs apartment.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming acrylic is out of the question, I would personally look into ordering a glass tank that has a top and inner eurobracing.
You lose a little bit of access but have to deal with less water spilling over (my biggest gripe about rimless) and it slightly mitigates jumpers in exchange for a significantly more robust aquarium

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming acrylic is out of the question, I would personally look into ordering a glass tank that has a top and inner eurobracing.
You lose a little bit of access but have to deal with less water spilling over (my biggest gripe about rimless) and it slightly mitigates jumpers in exchange for a significantly more robust aquarium
i'm too novice to know why acrylic is out of the question; and what manufacture does euro bracing?

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is very easy to scratch - you must do frequent surface cleaning and be very careful not to pull sand/baby snails into whatever you are using to clean surface. You can't be lazy for a while with acrylic like you can with glaßs

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm too novice to know why acrylic is out of the question; and what manufacture does euro bracing?
Acrylic is generally easier to scratch but a well built one will likely never fail from water alone.
Virtually all non mass produced tank manufactuers will do eurobracing such as glass cages. You can check to see if any lfs have manufactuers who are willing to take on such work too which may be more ideal since local > dealing with shipping logistics behind a big aquarium

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is generally easier to scratch but a well built one will likely never fail from water alone.
Virtually all non mass produced tank manufactuers will do eurobracing such as glass cages. You can check to see if any lfs have manufactuers who are willing to take on such work too which may be more ideal since local > dealing with shipping logistics behind a big aquarium
Great thing about Glass Cages is that you can get eurobracing AND vertical seam guards. I'm going through these guys as I've heard nothing but good things coming out of their Shoppe. You'll pay extra, but you'll get.quality. Virtually all of their tanks are made to order. Check out their website. You can build your aquarium and see which extras you may want to add and what the effect will be on your pocketbook.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have said Reef Savvy with armored corners and Eurobraced tanks

Like Than has built for Tidal Gardens

But they have appeared to have closed up shop

His tanks are the Killdozer of glass tanks

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have said Reef Savvy with armored corners and Eurobraced tanks

Like Than has built for Tidal Gardens

But they have appeared to have closed up shop

His tanks are the Killdozer of glass tanks
The website is still up. Where do you get your information from? Here?

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say @Joe Glass Cages tanks. Hand made in smaller shop with long time employees and inspected with personal reputation on the line. Same with similar like reef savvy (good luck getting somebody to respond), etc.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The website is still up. Where do you get your information from? Here?
I have no idea if they are still open but I couldn’t give them my money the last two times I was looking for custom. I have sent a few people there and they said the same thing. Just unresponsive in general.

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimmed tanks.

The rim provides effective restraints against the water pressure on each side at the top and bottom of each pane, with mid span braces for any vaguely long tanks that both prevent bowing and reduces the forces on all connections between panes.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back