Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shut down my tank moved everything to a another tank to deal with dinos restarted the tank with bottled bacteria (lots of it) tank seemed to read 0 ammonia and nitrite then nitrate creeped up to higher than ird like so I dosed nopox n within a day or two nitrate hit near zero me being impatient a month or so later added a 4inch wrasse on top of the 5 fish already in system.
Now ammonia has reappeared along with trace level of nitrite but my nitrate only goes down so I'm forced to dose nitrate to try and kill off the dinos, I have added so much bacteria to fight this it's ridiculous atleast 200 gbp or 260usd of different brands of live nitrifying bacteria the large wrasse has gone back to the lfs but I still have ammonia and nitrite slightly more nitrite than a few days ago but more ammonia also, meanwhile nitrate continues to go down with no carbon dosing no fuge etc so is it that the biomedia in the tank is mainly bacteria that transforms nitrate to nitrogen gas and not the type that filter ammonia?
I'm confused as this isnt anything I've experienced before is there something I'm missing maybe a experienced reefer can help me with?
I continue to dose microbactor7 daily along with vibrant 1 to 2 times a week.
Skimmer is off for 12hrs a day and UV runs all but 5 hours to allow for bacteria to settle when dosed.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have zero harmful ammonia it's a mis test. If you were using seneye you'd see the real measure

We've been studying this all this month in our forum, the notion of stuck cycles, how we're all being tricked into buying extra bottle bac, just to save you a bunch of reading on our reference threads the take away is that it's impossible to have small amounts of free ammonia in the tenths or hundredths in a reef tank. If your tank lacked surface area to control all ammonia, the whole thing would die overnite. It is impossible for a reef aquarium with all living fish to carry .25 or .5 ammonia at any time

What are your stated ammonia levels and what kind of test is it

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be neat to see pictures of your aquarium so we can get all the ratios looked at but in the end even that won't matter due to your description. It's not possible you have dangerous free ammonia for about five reasons I can think of so far, simply continue reefing buy no more offsets for the perceived cycle problem, it's a perfect cycle completion in fact. Post full tank pic

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back