Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an interesting pest: the trochus snail.

I regret ever adding these “beneficial” clean-up crew. They spawn and end up everywhere in my system, including the sump area which powers the whole system.

They live in my skimmer and pumps. They live anywhere in the sump. 3 went inside my Echotech return pump and broke it today.

I have 2 return pumps, and the snails broke the one that the chiller was connected to. I had to go outside to close the chiller, to prevent it from breaking, and lo and behold:

88D2C2F7-6273-496A-98BB-D003792D33A5.jpeg
ED815DB5-941D-4759-8E65-37615C6EAADE.jpeg

More stinking trochus snails.

They seem to really risk clogging my system’s pipes. They are just another way a tank can crash, and I don’t want them anymore.

My goal is to get up before the lights are on and collect the ones on the glass. I plan to stick them in my 10 gallon tank (full of diatoms). Basically manual removal in hopes to limit their population. I don’t want mass spawnings anymore. If I see them, I will remove them. I rather use urchins or anything else.

I just regret adding these snails. It probably couldn’t have been avoided since they come in on live rocks and corals. I would have had them regardless.

Maybe I should add a puffer fish lol

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you could trade them in for store credit? Hopefully you don't choose to kill em once they clean out the 10 gallon.
Yep. I will give them to the LFS for credit. I won’t murder any snails, but I am considering a coral-safe-fish that eats snails to keep the babies at bay. I know it sounds cruel, but I gotta keep the tank safe. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rugops

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I will give them to the LFS for credit. I won’t murder any snails, but I am considering a coral-safe-fish that eats snails to keep the babies at bay. I know it sounds cruel, but I gotta keep the tank safe. :)
I'd do the same thing but I would prefer just giving them to a lfs for credit.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I spoke to other reefers on a different forum and they said that guards where effective in preventing any snails from entering the pumps.

I genuinely thought that during spawning events, the baby snails would get spread everywhere, even inside small meshed guards.

theoretically, it makes sense that the snail spawns could end up inside the guards, but maybe that just doesn’t happen in the real world? Eh, I’ll try the guards. I got to do something. :)

I genuinely like my trochus snails. I think they are a great CUC.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back