Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I am setting up a reef in December and want to know everything I am going to put in so I can make arrangements. I really like the look of a One Spot Foxface. Current plan is a dwarf angel, pair of clowns, a royal gramma, a pair of chromis, a goby pistol shrimp pair and maybe a small tang. Thanks in advance!

Avast

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have one in my 65 gallon I would say pass on it until you get your feet wet in the hobby first. A big fish like that in a smaller tank is probably not the right choice in a beginner’s tank as it’s increase in bioload compared to smaller fish could be difficult to take on in a new tank that isn’t established yet.

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I am setting up a reef in December and want to know everything I am going to put in so I can make arrangements. I really like the look of a One Spot Foxface. Current plan is a dwarf angel, pair of clowns, a royal gramma, a pair of chromis, a goby pistol shrimp pair and maybe a small tang. Thanks in advance!
If you have a rehoming option within a year or so and can get a small (2"-3") onespot foxface, it may be an option, but I would recommend a solid plan before you buy the fish. It will not be a good idea long-term in a 55g tank, as it will need more space in order to be healthy than that tank offers.

I currently have 2 onespot foxfaces around 2.5"-long in my Work Desk 40B system, but I am only starting them here and will eventually be moving them home (probably later this year or early next year depending on growth rate) to a 75g, 90g, or 125g tank at home.

Keep in mind that tank size can be a limiting factor on the fish's health. A tank that appears big enough by just observing the fish may still be a stress to the fish if there is not plenty of room. Growth rate may be inhibited if the fish is in too small/crowded a tank, and this will have an adverse effect on the fish's health if it happens.

Tangs of any type are an even worse option for a 55g in my opinion, as they swim around most of the time and swim fast. Tangs at equal size to foxface rabbitfish require a bigger tank due to their activity level, in my experience.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your that far out in setting up one reconsider the 55. Its way to narrow once you add rock.

Foxfaces need room to swim. Like lots of room. I have one in my 90 and he’s getting big in there. They grow fast to. I got him when he was 2-3” long. Now hes at least 6” long one year later.

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your that far out in setting up one reconsider the 55. Its way to narrow once you add rock.

Foxfaces need room to swim. Like lots of room. I have one in my 90 and he’s getting big in there. They grow fast too. I got him when he was 2-3” long. Now hes at least 6” long one year later.

I agree that 55 dimensions kinda stink. Check out 48” 75 gallon and 36” 65 gallon tanks for similar sizes with better dimensions

Nutramar Foods

Boreas_SA

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, foxfaces don't do well in smaller tanks, about 4 months ago I added a 1 inch one spot to my 80 gallon (it had almost entirely black juvenile colours) thinking it will be fine for a while. It is now almost 3 inches long, and seems to be stressed the whole time, the top half is basically black the whole time from being in stress colours. So even a tiny one quickly outgrows a small tank, and they don't need to be massive to start stressing in a smaller tank. I plan to catch and rehome it soon. I do however have a yellow tang and truncatus bristletooth tang that seems way more comfortable in the tank even though they are bigger than the foxface, so a smaller Zebrasoma (scopas?) or Ctenochaetus (tomini?) might work if you want a tang type algae eater.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do however have a yellow tang and truncatus bristletooth tang that seems way more comfortable in the tank even though they are bigger than the foxface, so a smaller Zebrasoma (scopas?) or Ctenochaetus (tomini?) might work if you want a tang type algae eater.
Any Zebrasoma will get large, yellows are the smallest and max out at 5-6” (sometimes 7”) when fed properly (3-4 feedings a day is best for any fish). And yes, a Siganus species will pace rather quickly if it’s unhappy but a Tang will both pace and kill most tank mates when unhappy with the territory and space it has IME. Also, a Scopas tang isn’t a small Zebrasoma. Those guys get rather large (these guys are close to 8-10” at max size, sometimes 12”). Any Zebrasoma in the long run will want a 6’ long tank at the minimum.
A Ctenochaetus will remain smaller (4” is generally the max size) but again, these guys will dislike being in a small tank for more than a few months and really want 4’x2’ of floorspace in the long run.

As for the foxface I agree that the OP will be able to keep one however if they don’t have a rehoming plan before getting the fish then I wouldn’t do it. I’ve personally always had Siganus magnificus and my current one is in a 4’x2’x18” tank and he’s a good 7” now. He has yet to go spastic and pace, instead he just swims then take a break and hovers for most of the day (feeding is when he swims the most).

Top Shelf Aquatics

Keko21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one spot is in a 75g and i thought that was still pushing it…
7A89C774-9729-45FA-9255-92EBC1301DAF.jpeg

Boreas_SA

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Zebrasoma will get large, yellows are the smallest and max out at 5-6” (sometimes 7”) when fed properly (3-4 feedings a day is best for any fish). And yes, a Siganus species will pace rather quickly if it’s unhappy but a Tang will both pace and kill most tank mates when unhappy with the territory and space it has IME. Also, a Scopas tang isn’t a small Zebrasoma. Those guys get rather large (these guys are close to 8-10” at max size, sometimes 12”). Any Zebrasoma in the long run will want a 6’ long tank at the minimum.
A Ctenochaetus will remain smaller (4” is generally the max size) but again, these guys will dislike being in a small tank for more than a few months and really want 4’x2’ of floorspace in the long run.

As for the foxface I agree that the OP will be able to keep one however if they don’t have a rehoming plan before getting the fish then I wouldn’t do it. I’ve personally always had Siganus magnificus and my current one is in a 4’x2’x18” tank and he’s a good 7” now. He has yet to go spastic and pace, instead he just swims then take a break and hovers for most of the day (feeding is when he swims the most).
Although I agree with you in general, each fish is different, I haven't had any aggression issues with my yellow tang and truncatus bristletooth in a 3'x2'x2', so in the end it depends on your specific fish. Some Ctenochaetus are definitely a lot worse than others, a striatus is the devil incarnate. I've had the yellow tang around 3 years now, and the truncatus I caught locally on our East coast by Durban harbour around 2.5 years ago. I would also suggest a yellow tang and scopas would reach the same theoretical maximum size as they are basically the same species genetically.

As an aside, I also have a regal tang in there which I also added when small, it is terrified of the fish trap, have been trying to remove it for over a year. Moral of the story is that it is a lot tougher to remove a fish than it is to add one, so have to think twice before adding anything you plan to remove again one day. It also does not seem to be too stressed, the foxface is most nervous out of all of them for some reason. A pic of the tangs and tank attached as reference (the second foxface in the pic was removed a few months ago):

IMG-4605.jpg
IMG-4613.jpg
IMG-5147-jpg.JPG

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I agree with you in general, each fish is different, I haven't had any aggression issues with my yellow tang and truncatus bristletooth in a 3'x2'x2', so in the end it depends on your specific fish. Some Ctenochaetus are definitely a lot worse than others, a striatus is the devil incarnate. I've had the yellow tang around 3 years now, and the truncatus I caught locally on our East coast by Durban harbour around 2.5 years ago. I would also suggest a yellow tang and scopas would reach the same theoretical maximum size as they are basically the same species genetically.

As an aside, I also have a regal tang in there which I also added when small, it is terrified of the fish trap, have been trying to remove it for over a year. Moral of the story is that it is a lot tougher to remove a fish than it is to add one, so have to think twice before adding anything you plan to remove again one day. It also does not seem to be too stressed, the foxface is most nervous out of all of them for some reason. A pic of the tangs and tank attached as reference (the second foxface in the pic was removed a few months ago):

View attachment 3106117View attachment 3106118View attachment 3106119
Just wanted to say, a Scopas and Yellow aren’t genetically almost the same fish. They do have variants in the genes and even then those similar genes don’t necessarily mean that both species get the same size. Scopas tangs get much larger than yellows, I’ve seen a 6” yellow that got so large as it was fed 4-5 feedings a day. Scopas tangs, the largest I’ve seen was Atleast 8” if not larger and that guy was fed 1-2 feedings a day.
Purples are again susceptible to being seen as the small Zebrasoma but those guys can get to the point they’re almost the size of a medium dinner plate/large tea plate.

AquaCave Logo Banner

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say, a Scopas and Yellow aren’t genetically almost the same fish. They do have variants in the genes and even then those similar genes don’t necessarily mean that both species get the same size. Scopas tangs get much larger than yellows, I’ve seen a 6” yellow that got so large as it was fed 4-5 feedings a day. Scopas tangs, the largest I’ve seen was Atleast 8” if not larger and that guy was fed 1-2 feedings a day.
Purples are again susceptible to being seen as the small Zebrasoma but those guys can get to the point they’re almost the size of a medium dinner plate/large tea plate.
Ive seen several tanks over the last year and will say most yellows i see are huge. And the 3-4 scopas ive seen have never been larger than 6". One guys had his scopas in a 32 biocube for 3 years. Only 3" long. I hear these scopas's get big but never seen one.

People also say kole tangs stay small but Fish Of Hex has one in his 300 and it looks to be 10-12" long. :face-with-open-mouth: It is huge unless idk what im looking at.

You always see any other tang get huge like Foxfaces. My one spot FF is 2X the size of my scopas and they were brought home the same day and the FF was probably 1/2" smaller at that time.

Not trying to argue just what ive observed over the last year of seeing several peoples tanks.

OP
OP
Mnc-icymidnight

Mnc-icymidnight

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The rehoming plan would be my local fish store. They have a foxface so I know they can take care of them. The other possible plan is upgrading tank to a 115g. Will they be okay with a pair of clowns, a royal gramma, a firefish, a diamond goby and pistol shrimp pair, a pair of bicolor chromis, a fireball angel and a tomini tang. It will be added last. Any aggression or territory issues?

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back