One *specific* Astraea snail keeps flipping. What gives?

BRS

pianosdr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of different types of snails, including ~10 Astraeas. They’re all happy and fine…except for one Astraea in particular. No matter what I do, where I place it, or how many times I flip it over, it just continuously flips itself onto its back again. I received these snails several weeks ago, and as a number of them needed a little help at first, it’s hard to tell if this one has been doing this from the very beginning, but this one in particular has been flipping for at least the last week straight.

It won’t attach to rocks, to glass, it won’t stay upright in the sand…it’s alive still, but I’m so sick of having to flip this thing many times every day without it ever actually moving anywhere on its own. I don’t like the idea of throwing a living organism in the trash, but I’m about to unless there’s some particular reason for this that can be solved?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a bunch of different types of snails, including ~10 Astraeas. They’re all happy and fine…except for one Astraea in particular. No matter what I do, where I place it, or how many times I flip it over, it just continuously flips itself onto its back again. I received these snails several weeks ago, and as a number of them needed a little help at first, it’s hard to tell if this one has been doing this from the very beginning, but this one in particular has been flipping for at least the last week straight.

It won’t attach to rocks, to glass, it won’t stay upright in the sand…it’s alive still, but I’m so sick of having to flip this thing many times every day without it ever actually moving anywhere on its own. I don’t like the idea of throwing a living organism in the trash, but I’m about to unless there’s some particular reason for this that can be solved?
They usually do making them a difficult snail to keep long term. Cerith, turbo and trochus better at pulling themselves up

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
P

pianosdr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No this isn’t just a generic “Astraeas can’t right themselves” problem. This is one very specific snail that literally cannot move on its own without flipping itself over. I’ve watched it directly after I righted it, and it just continued to push itself against the sand until it flipped over again. I placed it on rock, and it just tumbled off immediately. I tried to stick it to the glass, and it will never grab it. I have 9 other astraea snails who are fine. This isn’t just the occasional tip over issue. This snail had a lobotomy.

not being bothered by fish either. I only have 6, and none of them care about the snails.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back