One possible cause of WiFi connection problems with P4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some problems with two P4 and their WiFi connection at my job. It have been slow and sometimes I had problems with the connection to MyGHL. A month ago I solved the problem with slow connection when we are "in house". I use the internal web page in the P4. As it is now - we have a very slow internet connection to my workplace - we use the 4G network - we can´t expect fast connection to myGHL but we should expect fast connection inside our network. Internal - we use an ASUS router in order to create an "in house" wifi Network. The distances between the P4 and the wifi router is short - 5 - 6 m but there is very much electric noise in the part where we have the temporary aquariums. It works with a charm - fast connections and stable - but only for a while.........

Last week - I got slow and intermittent connections to the P4 that´s was placed 6 m away (the other 4 m away). Its start when I start another P3.1 in a new system. I could not see the connections between this two events. After a day or two - its start to work well again but yesterday it was worse than ever. I track down the problem to be on the WiFi side because the internal web pages of our P3:s works fast and reliable. I could not access the internal webpage from my PC (that use a thread connection to my router) but I could access both P4:s through myGHL. Talk about understanding nothing. To be sure that the internal web page not was corrupt - I reinstall latest update - still the same problem. The ASUS router is an Asus RT-AC68U and brand new. After looking for the fault at the profilux side of the problem - I start to look on the router side. Could it be some settings that cause this problem. I start to seek in the setup page in the router. In advanced - wireless settings I found this (the example is from my own router ASUS Blue Cave) in the red marking

1615884967065.png

I deactivated the roaming assistant - and voila - it works as a charm again

1615885148739.png

This was an ASUS router but I´m rather sure that you can find the same settings in other routers,

Edit - maybe this is the problem with some mesh networks - the RSSI is set in a way that the system stop to roam the signal. I do not use my router as a part of a mesh network. Neither an expert of mesh networks

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

bdare

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some problems with two P4 and their WiFi connection at my job. It have been slow and sometimes I had problems with the connection to MyGHL. A month ago I solved the problem with slow connection when we are "in house". I use the internal web page in the P4. As it is now - we have a very slow internet connection to my workplace - we use the 4G network - we can´t expect fast connection to myGHL but we should expect fast connection inside our network. Internal - we use an ASUS router in order to create an "in house" wifi Network. The distances between the P4 and the wifi router is short - 5 - 6 m but there is very much electric noise in the part where we have the temporary aquariums. It works with a charm - fast connections and stable - but only for a while.........

Last week - I got slow and intermittent connections to the P4 that´s was placed 6 m away (the other 4 m away). Its start when I start another P3.1 in a new system. I could not see the connections between this two events. After a day or two - its start to work well again but yesterday it was worse than ever. I track down the problem to be on the WiFi side because the internal web pages of our P3:s works fast and reliable. I could not access the internal webpage from my PC (that use a thread connection to my router) but I could access both P4:s through myGHL. Talk about understanding nothing. To be sure that the internal web page not was corrupt - I reinstall latest update - still the same problem. The ASUS router is an Asus RT-AC68U and brand new. After looking for the fault at the profilux side of the problem - I start to look on the router side. Could it be some settings that cause this problem. I start to seek in the setup page in the router. In advanced - wireless settings I found this (the example is from my own router ASUS Blue Cave) in the red marking

I deactivated the roaming assistant - and voila - it works as a charm again

This was an ASUS router but I´m rather sure that you can find the same settings in other routers,

Edit - maybe this is the problem with some mesh networks - the RSSI is set in a way that the system stop to roam the signal. I do not use my router as a part of a mesh network. Neither an expert of mesh networks

Sincerely Lasse
Hi Lasse,

For sure the P4 does not like Mesh Networks. I bought a mesh WiFi router for a reason and I'm not willing to disable it at my house. Not sure if you've seen my thread. Lots of network troubleshooting. In the end I solved my problem by buying a cheap 2.5ghz access point and plugging it in close to the tank. Since then... all my problems went away.

Ben

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know but I would check my mesh networks configuration - if there is a roaming limit for a certain low signal - it maybe is enough to check the signals strength in the P4 and configure the roaming signal to accept the strengths of the P4 signal. Both routers there I found this are routers that can be driven as mesh routers. Never seen this configuration post in a non mesh (able) ASUS router. And roaming make sense with mesh networks.

In my case - when its only affect the local network it probably stop the roaming between the WiFi and the RJ45 network - but let it pass through to the wan (no roaming). In a mesh network - there is roaming between the nodes (at least I think so) and it could also affect the wan connection.

Only my 2 cents

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse,

For sure the P4 does not like Mesh Networks. I bought a mesh WiFi router for a reason and I'm not willing to disable it at my house. Not sure if you've seen my thread. Lots of network troubleshooting. In the end I solved my problem by buying a cheap 2.5ghz access point and plugging it in close to the tank. Since then... all my problems went away.

Ben
I have a Google mesh network.,No problems.

Member No 1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 RBR850 mesh, no issues. In fact, it's the most stable connection I ever had, and I connect via GHL Connect app on my iPhone, myGHL from work on my desktop, and when home I log into the local pages on the P4 and my two LX-7206 lights from both my Mac desktop and iPhone with the app.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my GCC in the communication tab

1615970767631.png

From my own ASUS router

1615970955923.png

Here is no problem but in the case at my work - the ASUS router had the same configuration as my home router but the signal strength in my two P4 was lower (around -71 dBm) and I could not contact them through the internal website or the TCP/IP client in GCC- both this connection need a "roaming" between WiFI and ethernet (RJ45) connection in the router but I was able to connect with MyGHL (probably a tunnel trough the router)

By inactivate the Roamin assistant in my no mesh network - I got it to work even with the internal webpages

A mesh network is build on roaming

There is - as you can see in these post above - conflicting experiences with mesh networks of different types - for me - it indicate that it could be a configuring issue. Maybe my foundings in my network can give an idea where to do a troubleshooting with a mesh network that´s not accepting the P4 WiFi. If it is as simple like this - that the mesh network just disable sources with to low dBm - an adjusting of the configuration may help. I do not know if I´m right or not - but my findings may give an entrance to solve problems with P4 wifi and mesh networks

Sincerely Lasse

Member No 1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse
I know just enough to get by and where and what to look for. Everything else is way above my pay grade.
I wish I knew more, but my brain is already so full, that every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out! ;) :D

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back