Olive oil for over reactive protein skimmer?

AI Hydra

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heard of this? I have a new Ultra Reef skimmer that has been overflowing for two weeks. Was hoping it was just breaking in but I don’t think so now. I’m not sure what’s going on. I reached out to UR and they suggested dipping something (I used a chopstick) in olive oil and swirling it around in the skimmer chamber. The skimmer immediately stopped overflowing and began working as expected given the setting in the dial. My understanding is that this is only a temporary fix though. I am wondering what bigger picture this tells. Btw this is a newly cycled tank without fish. Only pods and dosing phyto daily

AS

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just that there is something in the water messing with the skimmer with all the new equipment/rock and so on.

It will probably fix itself with regular water changes/time.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting but shouldn’t the bacteria I added create the needed slime coat?
Wait until you have fish or corals to skim. Your system needs to build up a bacterial slime coat as part of the cycling process.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably just that there is something in the water messing with the skimmer with all the new equipment/rock and so on.

It will probably fix itself with regular water changes/time.
I hope so. This is getting ridiculous. I’ll be doing a couple of 50% water changes to get NO3 down so hopefully that helps

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the skimmer until you begin stocking. If the stuff is all new, there is prolly some byproduct from new equipment, new rock, etc... Is the skimmer majorly under/over sized? That can also be a issue.

Top Shelf Aquatics

danielankeny

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heard of this? I have a new Ultra Reef skimmer that has been overflowing for two weeks. Was hoping it was just breaking in but I don’t think so now. I’m not sure what’s going on. I reached out to UR and they suggested dipping something (I used a chopstick) in olive oil and swirling it around in the skimmer chamber. The skimmer immediately stopped overflowing and began working as expected given the setting in the dial. My understanding is that this is only a temporary fix though. I am wondering what bigger picture this tells. Btw this is a newly cycled tank without fish. Only pods and dosing phyto daily
Same issue for me with a new tank and new Ultra Reef skimmer! Did yours finally calm down or is it still overflowing?

Avast
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It finally calmed down but olive oil worked until then. I got a chopstick and dipped it in olive oil and then swirled it in the sump next to the skimmer and within seconds it would calm down
Same issue for me with a new tank and new Ultra Reef skimmer! Did yours finally calm down or is it still overflowing?

legionofdoon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it on the lip of the collection cup. I use a lifereef and when I'm skimming dry it will push the lid off the cup. It usually lasts until I need to clean the cup.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back