Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i bought a refractometer because i wanna get pinpoint accuracy of my tanks salinity and i have a few questions.
ok so first of it’s a fairly old refractometer it looks to be sitting on that shelf for a while will that affect how it works i opened it up and it looks brand new though.
also how do i calibrate it do i need special fluid and dose temperature mess with the reading of the salinity.
also it’s a sybon opticon series fg100sa

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i bought a refractometer because i wanna get pinpoint accuracy of my tanks salinity and i have a few questions.
ok so first of it’s a fairly old refractometer it looks to be sitting on that shelf for a while will that affect how it works i opened it up and it looks brand new though.
also how do i calibrate it do i need special fluid and dose temperature mess with the reading of the salinity.

The only way you will know is by testing.

Personally, I calibrate mine with fresh RODI water, but you can also buy solution. You just want to calibrate it at 0 with something that is 100% guaranteed to have 0% salinity. There should be a small nut that you can turn to calibrate it to the 0 line.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way you will know is by testing.

Personally, I calibrate mine with fresh RODI water, but you can also buy solution. You just want to calibrate it at 0 with something that is 100% guaranteed to have 0% salinity. There should be a small nut that you can turn to calibrate it to the 0 line.
ok thanks for the help

Top Shelf Aquatics

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy calibration solution.

A refractometer showing 0 with RODI tells you nothing about what its going to read with 35ppt saltwater. You don't care about the rest of the range. 35ppt is all that matters.

So calibrate at 35ppt.

(Many refractometers are skewed - they can really only be accurate at one point. You want that point to be where you're measuring)

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrating in RODI can be a bit off. Randy Holmes Farley has got a DIY for making your own reference solution with Table salt at 35ppt. If you ain’t got accurate scales to measure it out, just make a litre of it and chuck what you can’t keep. I’ve got a vape juice bottle full of it.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy calibration solution.

A refractometer showing 0 with RODI tells you nothing about what its going to read with 35ppt saltwater. You don't care about the rest of the range. 35ppt is all that matters.

So calibrate at 35ppt.

(Many refractometers are skewed - they can really only be accurate at one point. You want that point to be where you're measuring)
ok it has calabration solution with it

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrating in RODI can be a bit off. Randy Holmes Farley has got a DIY for making your own reference solution with Table salt at 35ppt. If you ain’t got accurate scales to measure it out, just make a litre of it and chuck what you can’t keep. I’ve got a vape juice bottle full of it.
oh ok thanks for the help

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok it has calabration solution with it

Yes, it comes with 0 ppt standard. It is not clear that such a fluid is best for our purposes. A 35 ppt standard will always be suitable (if properly made), but the standard that comes with it may not be.

The problem is that if it is a true seawater refractometer, both 0 ppt and 35 ppt will work fine for calibration (assuming it is perfectly made). 35 ppt will be suitable even if it is not perfectly made, since you are matching that salinity.

If it is a brine refractometer, then 35 ppt will give a proper calibration for seawater and 0 ppt will not. It willb e inherently inaccurate using a 0 ppt standard to calibrate, then used to measure seawater.

It claims to be good for many purposes, including but not limited to seawater, which leads me to think it is not a seawater refractometer.

But in looking closely at the scale in the brochure, it looks like a seawater refractometer since 35 ppt matches up to about sg = 1.0264. if it were a brine refractometer, the 35 ppt would match up to a sg of 1.025.

So I cannot really tell what type it is. Use 35 ppt to be sure you are good to go.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it comes with 0 ppt standard. It is not clear that such a fluid is best for our purposes. A 35 ppt standard will always be suitable (if properly made), but the standard that comes with it may not be.

The problem is that if it is a true seawater refractometer, both 0 ppt and 35 ppt will work fine for calibration (assuming it is perfectly made). 35 ppt will be suitable even if it is not perfectly made, since you are matching that salinity.

If it is a brine refractometer, then 35 ppt will give a proper calibration for seawater and 0 ppt will not. It willb e inherently inaccurate using a 0 ppt standard to calibrate, then used to measure seawater.

It claims to be good for many purposes, including but not limited to seawater, which leads me to think it is not a seawater refractometer.

But in looking closely at the scale in the brochure, it looks like a seawater refractometer since 35 ppt matches up to about sg = 1.0264. if it were a brine refractometer, the 35 ppt would match up to a sg of 1.025.

So I cannot really tell what type it is. Use 35 ppt to be sure you are good to go.
ok thanks for the help

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back