Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess it’s just one of those things you have to deal with. My male Bellus Angelfish is the biggest fish in the tank, but looks like someone put him in his place last night. Not sure who it was. There are a Powder Blue and Purple Tang in there, but I’ve never seen them show aggression towards anyone. The most aggressive fish is the female Bellus. She’s not that big (3”), but she’s constantly chasing others. Wonder if there is a marriage squabble going on. She does look like she may be carrying eggs. She’s getting quite pudgy around the middle. Maybe she’s just telling him to back off, because she isn’t ready yet. He’s always chasing after her. Also, don’t know if those are bites or scrapes from running through the tunnels too fast. His other side is scratched up as well.

CDD91C0F-4139-49AC-923D-BC58F303799C.jpeg
328713A2-1196-4363-BBC8-F3C3E87ABC71.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the powder blue? Neven kept one, but heard they can be jerks.
Actually, it is the best fish in the tank. Everyday, I will go up real close to the tank (my face about 3” from the glass), and he will come over and stay right beside me. Almost like he wants me to pet him. He is the only one who seems to have no fear of me. Pretty much my favorite one. The purple is tank boss, but those two seem to get along fine. The PB is number two in pecking order. I surmise that from watching algae clip time. Purple always eats first, then PB, then everyone else. I actually put out two clips on opposite sides of the tank. The Purple and PB will both race back and forth to try and control both clips. Funny to watch. I’ve never seen either go after the male Bellus, but have no idea what goes on when I’m not watching.

BRS
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some better pictures and I think it wasn’t a fight. Appears to be more of a crazy driver incident. He has bruises on both sides and on his face. I think he was chasing the female Bellus around in the dark and she can go through smaller holes than he can. Looks like he banged himself up trying to catch her. None of them look too bad, so maybe will all heal.
13F04136-13EB-4F77-ADC0-6C60B6EA4E78.jpeg
855F6ED7-297F-4C00-91C5-7D595EF8A952.jpeg

Here is who he is chasing. The reluctant girl friend. She is very fast

AD03A9AF-7590-42FA-ACD9-FCB4C46C8198.jpeg
F5A3D26B-E9E6-452E-8921-D59FEF7B0DAD.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got some better pictures and I think it wasn’t a fight. Appears to be more of a crazy driver incident. He has bruises on both sides and on his face. I think he was chasing the female Bellus around in the dark and she can go through smaller holes than he can. Looks like he banged himself up trying to catch her. None of them look too bad, so maybe will all heal.
View attachment 2943992View attachment 2943993

Here is who he is chasing. The reluctant girl friend. She is very fast

View attachment 2943995View attachment 2943996
he will heal over but these guys cannot obviously stay together
Have Maracyn 2 or seachem kanaplex on hand in the event an infection would develop

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That aggression needs to be mitigated asap don’t let it go on
I’m just guessing as to whether that was it or not. For all I know, it could have been one of the tangs chasing him. He is the biggest fish in the tank, so there may be a change in leadership that he’s trying to instigate. I do know there is often some squabbling over certain sleeping spots, but nothing I can factually say is the problem. I’ll just have to watch more closely so I can determine who is the problem child.

he will heal over but these guys cannot obviously stay together
Have Maracyn 2 or seachem kanaplex on hand in the event an infection would develop
I think I have seen this before, but it was just one small scratch on its side. I will definitely watch closer now to find the bully.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m just guessing as to whether that was it or not. For all I know, it could have been one of the tangs chasing him. He is the biggest fish in the tank, so there may be a change in leadership that he’s trying to instigate. I do know there is often some squabbling over certain sleeping spots, but nothing I can factually say is the problem. I’ll just have to watch more closely so I can determine who is the problem child.

I think I have seen this before, but it was just one small scratch on its side. I will definitely watch closer now to find the bully.
or ............ set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a monster at feeding time.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or ............ set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a monster at feeding time.
I saw a post like this before and tried it. Everybody did fine during feeding and no aggression. Every when the algae clips go out, he waits his turn behind the two tangs.

This is how I got to this position. I ordered the Purple, PB, and Hippo tangs, and the male Bellus all at the same time from Dr Reef. The three tangs all came together, but the Bellus he had for me was sick so he didn’t ship it. He got me a replacement which arrived two month later. It was suppose to be a 3” fish, but it was almost “6 long. As big, if not a shade longer than the purple and PB. By the time he arrived, the tank hierarchy was already set. Purple #1 and PB #2. I think because he is a hair bigger than them, he has been trying to rearrange the hierarchy and the tangs aren’t having any of that. It may be he is vying for top position and getting behind kicked for his efforts. Whatever happened last night might have been a “let’s finally get this settled” moment between him and the tangs. I can see the tank from another room and now the Bellus is just following the purple tang around like a puppy. Maybe they got things settled last night. Everyone, tangs and angels, are casually grazing away now.

I know that may be wishful thinking, but I’m hoping they can work this out so I don’t have to remove him.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a solid tank for those fish. Rockscape looks good too

Thanks. It going on 7 months since I cycled it in. Corals started going in in September. my only losses were my two clowns. They were posthumously named Wilber and Orville Wright since they both thought they could fly. Well, I guess they could fly….just far enough to get out of the tank. I’ve since then made me a nice lid for the tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks. It going on 7 months since I cycled it in. Corals started going in in September. my only losses were my two clowns. They were posthumously named Wilber and Orville Wright since they both thought they could fly. Well, I guess they could fly….just far enough to get out of the tank. I’ve since then made me a nice lid for the tank.
Yeah there will always be jumpers. Lids are a necessity

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back