Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I heard that the magic erasers were great for cleaning the glass inside of the reef tank, so I got some off brand ones from ebay. I just used one recently to get some hard to clean algae off of the glass, and around the same time, I added some new dry rock that I ordered online. My skimmer went crazy, so I pulled the drain plug and let it flow into a 5 gallon bucket. After the first full bucket, I turned it all the way down, and it just kept going.... 5 buckets later, and my ATO is completely drained, and I am puzzled. This is a 90 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump, and I've had my skimmer remove about 25 gallons of water over 2 days with the skimmer all the way down, which was replaced with RODI water, which of course dropped my salinity down to 1.20. I turn off the skimmer and prep for a water change, which I just completed. 35 gallons of new water later, and when everything powers up, the skimmer is still going crazy, so I put the bucket back, and hope for the best. It'll be at least a day before I top off my mixing station, and another few hours before I get the salt mixed in, so I'm stuck with this situation for a while. I'm also dosing DIY NOPOX, but I've been dosing that for over a month now, so I doubt it's that. I'm at a loss right now.

Avast
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

maroun.c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which rock did u add. I added some Caribsea liferock and my skimmer went crazy for a day. Suggest to turn offur skimmer or have it empty I the tank till u have saltwater to replace and also.maybe a water change. So much freshwater from top off might affect ur salinity.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which rock did u add. I added some Caribsea liferock and my skimmer went crazy for a day. Suggest to turn offur skimmer or have it empty I the tank till u have saltwater to replace and also.maybe a water change. So much freshwater from top off might affect ur salinity.
Did a 35 gallon WC today. Skimmer is still kinda wonky, but not as bad as before.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I added some of that ancient coral rock.

BRS

Thales

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

maroun.c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless what the cause, couple water changes, changing ur carbon and letting ur skimmer run the dryest possible and maybe raising it a bit to minimize foaming then discarding whatever skimmate ot produces and replacing with saltwater should solve it in a day or two.

Avast
OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless what the cause, couple water changes, changing ur carbon and letting ur skimmer run the dryest possible and maybe raising it a bit to minimize foaming then discarding whatever skimmate ot produces and replacing with saltwater should solve it in a day or two.

I pulled the rock out, and I'll be making new water soon. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back