Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm very new to the Saltwater aquarium hobby. been keeping freshwater since I was 14. My foray into this branch of the hobby is with a new 14g IM peninsula. Anyrate, my question is this: I've got a cat, friendly guy. Not worried about him getting INTO the tank and messing with fishy friends. but his fuzz, that's another thing. I've caught the occasional hair floating around in the water column during my cycling the last few weeks. over a week a small pinch of them will gather at the Weir and i'll pull em out. Is this in any way detrimental to fish and corals in the future after my cycle is done? in my past freshwater it was never an issue because well, freshwater is a lot more forgiving. But I have no experience with this when it comes to seawater chemistry. Am I good, or do I need to really crack down on anti fuzz measures?

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a German shedder and find hair in the tank, in my buckets, pretty much every where. It hasn't been an issue except when it's in my food :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I have a German shedder and find hair in the tank, in my buckets, pretty much every where. It hasn't been an issue except when it's in my food :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Lol, I feel the same when it comes to my furball. He's one of those weird cats that loves water. Without livestock for now he's been super content just laying beside the tank and looking up at the turbulence on the surface.

paragrouper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I feel the same when it comes to my furball. He's one of those weird cats that loves water. Without livestock for now he's been super content just laying beside the tank and looking up at the turbulence on the surface.
I keep my parrot’s cage close to the Tank (yes, I’ve found bird feathers in the tank too). He watches the tank inhabitant’s constantly

air_run

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g rimless and (3) Persians. I literally clean hairballs out of the filter socks pretty regularly. Hasn't seem to bother anything. I do see cat hairs clinging on to Acros and my MP's here and there though. I just net them when I see them.

Really, the worst thing about having long hair cats is when you dry your arms and they are still a little tacky, then you go back into the aquarium and hair disperses everywhere. Cat hair is always on the towels!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g rimless and (3) Persians. I literally clean hairballs out of the filter socks pretty regularly. Hasn't seem to bother anything. I do see cat hairs clinging on to Acros and my MP's here and there though. I just net them when I see them.

Really, the worst thing about having long hair cats is when you dry your arms and they are still a little tacky, then you go back into the aquarium and hair disperses everywhere. Cat hair is always on the towels!
My guy is a short-hair. So far I think I'm keeping it managed, I have dedicated washcloths I keep inside my stand cabinet, so I think that's helping. My main concern was things like hairs getting in gills, and maybe irritating soft corals and hammers.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues I dont think. Isn’t that different to dead skin that sheds off us. Your very expensive cat TV will be just fine! IMG_5675.jpegIMG_5674.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Aeiyr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues I dont think. Isn’t that different to dead skin that sheds off us. Your very expensive cat TV will be just fine!View attachment 3152815View attachment 3152816
Lol, cat TV. I like that. Hir cat tower sits on the other side of the peninsula with me on the other side. I catch him all the time looking through the glass below water level with his eyes turned up watching the surface swirl. I'm glad to hear it's not a problem. I worry some of my questions are silly but, I'd rather ask than have some weird surprises down the line.

AquaCave Logo Banner

TurboTang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often see a stray hair getting whipped around in my tank - never seen a problem arise from it. I really doubt it could be an issue for any coral or marine fish. Maybe a 3ft long human hair might get interesting, but mot likely shorter strands from a pet

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find cat/dog hair in my cuvettes when using my Hanna checker.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back