Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new to this and still really green to the saltwater community. I have these small pest things growing in my 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank and have now taken over by the hundreds. Does anyone know what these might be and how to get rid of them? Thanks for any help!

20230407_231855.jpg 20230407_231810.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those seem to be polyp stage jellyfish (we normally think of jellyfish in their free-swimming medusa stage) that are reproducing.

As far as getting rid of them goes, if you have hundreds of these, it may be easier to just move the dwarf seahorses to a temporary tank and starve the jellies out. Otherwise, you can probably deal with them the same way you would deal with hydroids (see the thread linked below, starting with my post for advice on hydroid removal - there should be three or four posts in total with advice).

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Avast
OP
OP
B

bcaruso67

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those seem to be polyp stage jellyfish (we normally think of jellyfish in their free-swimming medusa stage) that are reproducing.

As far as getting rid of them goes, if you have hundreds of these, it may be easier to just move the dwarf seahorses to a temporary tank and starve the jellies out. Otherwise, you can probably deal with them the same way you would deal with hydroids (see the thread linked below, starting with my post for advice on hydroid removal - there should be three or four posts in total with advice).

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thanks, so these have been in here for now a month and started as 1 or 2 then like in less than a week hundreds.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so these have been in here for now a month and started as 1 or 2 then like in less than a week hundreds.
Yeah, they're likely feeding on whatever you're feeding your seahorses. The little tails you see sticking off the specimens in your photos are part of how they reproduce. I can't find a photo exactly like the one shown in your pics, but here are a few different methods:
1683301651163.png

Photo source:

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
B

bcaruso67

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they're likely feeding on whatever you're feeding your seahorses. The little tails you see sticking off the specimens in your photos are part of how they reproduce. I can't find a photo exactly like the one shown in your pics, but here are a few different methods:
View attachment 3136418
Photo source:
Again thank you! That has been a big help. I've been looking for a week now for images that looked the same w no luck. What are your thoughts on clean up crew for these? Like emrald crabbs or even adding a file fish?

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on clean up crew for these? Like emrald crabbs or even adding a file fish?
I only know of a handful of things that will eat jellyfish polyps that are readily available in the hobby and that (theoretically) shouldn't immediately be super dangerous to your seahorses which could fit in your tank:
- Camel Shrimp (Rhynchocinetes uritai)
- Long-clawed Hermit (Pagurus longicarpus)
- Skeleton Shrimp (Caprella equilibra isn't available specifically, but other Caprella sp./spp. are available and may eat the polyps as well, I'm not sure)

Emerald crabs, filefish, etc. may or may not prey on the polyps (and it may depend on what species of jellyfish it is).

Camel Shrimp can be found on a bunch of different sites. The Long-clawed Hermit and Skeleton Shrimp are harder to come by, but both are available through the site linked below (it's a coldwater site, so if you order from them, you may want to be extra careful about temperature acclimation; that said, both species can handle a wide range of temps, so, once acclimated, they'll likely do fine at whatever temp your tank is at):
You can also find the skeleton shrimp Caprella acutifrons at the link below:

OP
OP
B

bcaruso67

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only know of a handful of things that will eat jellyfish polyps that are readily available in the hobby and that (theoretically) shouldn't immediately be super dangerous to your seahorses which could fit in your tank:
- Camel Shrimp (Rhynchocinetes uritai)
- Long-clawed Hermit (Pagurus longicarpus)
- Skeleton Shrimp (Caprella equilibra isn't available specifically, but other Caprella sp./spp. are available and may eat the polyps as well, I'm not sure)

Emerald crabs, filefish, etc. may or may not prey on the polyps (and it may depend on what species of jellyfish it is).

Camel Shrimp can be found on a bunch of different sites. The Long-clawed Hermit and Skeleton Shrimp are harder to come by, but both are available through the site linked below (it's a coldwater site, so if you order from them, you may want to be extra careful about temperature acclimation; that said, both species can handle a wide range of temps, so, once acclimated, they'll likely do fine at whatever temp your tank is at):
You can also find the skeleton shrimp Caprella acutifrons at the link below:
Thank you for all of this great information. I appreciate your time and advice and will look into these possible solutions.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back