Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently discovered some odd behavior and my scissor gobi i've had him for a little over a year , and he has recently within the last month started nosediving into the sand and flailing about and then stoppand goes back to normal behavior the next day. This is not something that happens slowly It's a lot of very erratic and fast movements all over the tank and followed up with some nose diving into the sand then he goes back into hiding in his cave.He's normally out all the time at the top of the water column and will even swim into my hand and let me pet and feed him.

As you can see this is why this is my favorite fish he's very active normally and i'm concerned.

All of my fish went through a 6 week to 10 week. Quarantine process and all the coral has been quarantined as well..Nothing in the tank has been introduced in the last 6 months. Peri'm unsure of what is causing this. He does not show any weird discoloration. Or any spotting or signs of velvet or Brook. He has a little bit of scraping from the sand but he does not scrape his body he only Goes head first.

I'm performing a waterchange tomorrow and haven't tested anything but ammonia and that is zero. I rarely test my water but that's because I usually go by the coral and the nems behavior.

Any help is appreciated thank you

I even have a powder brown tang and a tomini that are showing zero signs of illness

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently discovered some odd behavior and my scissor gobi i've had him for a little over a year , and he has recently within the last month started nosediving into the sand and flailing about and then stoppand goes back to normal behavior the next day. This is not something that happens slowly It's a lot of very erratic and fast movements all over the tank and followed up with some nose diving into the sand then he goes back into hiding in his cave.He's normally out all the time at the top of the water column and will even swim into my hand and let me pet and feed him.

As you can see this is why this is my favorite fish he's very active normally and i'm concerned.

All of my fish went through a 6 week to 10 week. Quarantine process and all the coral has been quarantined as well..Nothing in the tank has been introduced in the last 6 months. Peri'm unsure of what is causing this. He does not show any weird discoloration. Or any spotting or signs of velvet or Brook. He has a little bit of scraping from the sand but he does not scrape his body he only Goes head first.

I'm performing a waterchange tomorrow and haven't tested anything but ammonia and that is zero. I rarely test my water but that's because I usually go by the coral and the nems behavior.

Any help is appreciated thank you

I even have a powder brown tang and a tomini that are showing zero signs of illness

I'm not sure what the behavior you noted means - I've not seen that exactly - but "flashing" can be a sign of flukes, and fish will glance off of the sand or rocks to try and dislodge these parasitic worms. If the fish has gill flukes, you won't see any signs of infection on the outside of the fish. Did your quarantine process have any fluke treatment with it? If so, what did you do?

Prazipro is a reef-safe treatment for gill flukes.

Jay

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like something on his skin maybe trying to remove, diving in sand is a way of trying to remove, same as rubbing on rocks, try to watch closely and see if anything is different

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like something on his skin maybe trying to remove, diving in sand is a way of trying to remove, same as rubbing on rocks, try to watch closely and see if anything is different
There is some weird marks on his fins but nothing on his skin. My first thought was parasite but I've treated with prasipro before and haven't added a fish since. I had black ich in about a year ago on my powder brown

OP
OP
Oaken

Oaken

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the behavior you noted means - I've not seen that exactly - but "flashing" can be a sign of flukes, and fish will glance off of the sand or rocks to try and dislodge these parasitic worms. If the fish has gill flukes, you won't see any signs of infection on the outside of the fish. Did your quarantine process have any fluke treatment with it? If so, what did you do?

Prazipro is a reef-safe treatment for gill flukes.

Jay
Thank you for your response. I bought them from a business who quarantines and sells fish. He said he treats for everything, they even come guaranteed to feed on pellets. I may start a prazi pro cycle

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back