Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I was doing some tank maintenance and moved my octospawn over and a few Polyps fell off. I might have bumped it on the rockwork, but just curious if this is common or a concern.

For reference, my tank is 15 months old and a 32 gallon Fluval Flex. I've been very successful so far and I haven't had any swings for about 6 months or more. Parameters taken last night (I'm obsessive about this and take parameters every 3 days).

Calcium 460 (salifert, slightly higher than normal for me)
Magnesium 1440 (Aquaforest)
Nitrates 9.5 (Hanna)
Phosphates 0.04 (Hanna)
Temp 77.5
Alk 7.7 (Hanna)

No changes in salt, on the same bucket for the last 4 months of Tropic Marin Bio Actif. Dosing all for reef on Kamoer doser to maintain alkalinity and I feed tank aminos and reef food.

Picture in question, terrible pic but four little pieces of fluoresce tissue floated off.
IMG_20230111_161620.jpg
The whole piece looks like this and I bought it with two heads and one is splitting into a third head. It is slightly pulled in because I was moving it.
IMG_20230111_161613.jpg

Is this normal, should I be concerned? I don't want full polyp bailout or anything. I have a very very mixed reef, but since the tank is just over a year, everything is my first. Just because of real estate, I only have the one octospawn, but I have three hammers. Everything else in the tank is happy.

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened to me before and usually it’s like nothing ever happened. I would say keep a close eye on it and if you notice it starting to get worse put it into a low flow, low light spot and give it some time to recover

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has happened to me before and usually it’s like nothing ever happened. I would say keep a close eye on it and if you notice it starting to get worse put it into a low flow, low light spot and give it some time to recover
Thanks for the confirmation. How often has it happened to you? I've had this since a black Friday sale, so just over a month. Does it happen when the heads are splitting? As I mentioned, it has created a clear wall on the head in the back of the picture, if I blow it with a pipette you can see a clear third head forming.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation. How often has it happened to you? I've had this since a black Friday sale, so just over a month. Does it happen when the heads are splitting? As I mentioned, it has created a clear wall on the head in the back of the picture, if I blow it with a pipette you can see a clear third head forming.
It only happens to me when I pull one too hard when trying to get it unglued from the rock. When euphyllia split heads there’s some crazy things that happen, loosing flesh band, not open, etc.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ultimate Corals
Back