Oceanic tonic: Have you ever added Iodine to your tank?

BRS

Have you ever added Iodine to your tank?

• I have dosed iodine with positive results

Votes: 86 33.2%
  • I have dosed iodine with no noticeable results

Votes: 86 33.2%
  • I have dosed iodine with negative results

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • I have only added iodine through water changes

Votes: 67 25.9%
  • Other

Votes: 22 8.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oceanic tonic: Have you ever added Iodine to your tank?

Iodine is considered by some to be an energy drink for your corals but can also be toxic if overdosed. Some reef keepers add it for their soft corals and molting invertebrates; however many tanks get enough iodine through regular water changes. What is your experience with iodine in the reef tank? Do you dose iodine? Have you tested for iodine? Tell us about your thoughts and tips related to iodine in the discussion thread.

Luckyduck_IodineTest.jpeg

Photo by @Luckyduck

rogersb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do small water changes infrequently so I picked up some lugols yesterday. I mostly got it for fragging, but I'll see if 1 drop a week does anything in approximately 140 gallons. Probably do nothing in such a small amount.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was dosing Iodine (a couple of drops 2X a week, and knew it was time to an ICP and Ooops. It was high, but not crazy high. I have stopped for now.

Cheezle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably coincidence but I started dosing 2 drops of Lugol's once a week after my chalice started showing skeleton and 2 weeks later it seemed to be completely healed. It could be from low calcium, which was low at the time that I brought up, but either way I haven't noticed anything negative from dosing a few drops every so often.

tbasinger

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never dosed iodine into a reef tank, but I used iodine every week on my jellyfish polyps to induce them to to strobilate(metamorphose into free swimming jellys). Well that was before I found 5 methoxy 2 methylindole which worked better/ stronger than iodine. Since jellyfish and corals are both cnidaria I would be curious if anyone knows anything about the effects of iodine on the sexual stages of corals.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also dose Seachem iodide occasionally. I dose Coral vite weekly which I believe has some Iodide in it along with other trace minerals.
My tank is a softie/macroalgae dominant system and I felt it was beneficial for the coral, macros and inverts like shrimp.

Indoor Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past, I had a strange problem where some corals, especially montipora were going grey and dying. I recognised when I water changed things would temporarily improve then it'd happen quite quickly again. After a few times, some Icp tests and experimentation, I recognised iodine was extremely low so I tried adding AF iodum instead of the water change and it seemed to work great. Never had a problem again.

Since I swapped dosing to reef zlements pH plus back last year I haven't needed iodine so far. I regularly check on icp tests (I don't bother with elements like iodine on diy test kits now as it seems a bit hit and miss). If it is needed I'd dose small amounts daily. It's worth mentioning I have a no water change regime and have been that way for at least one year. Tank seems to be doing great.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back