Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all. I live on the beach, in CT, it’s the Long Island sound.
Wondering if anyone has experience using sand and or ocean water in their tanks?
I have nyos and arag alive special grade for my tank but am thinking maybe adding a cup or two of “clean” sand and water.

AS

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the concerns around natural seawater seem a bit overblown to me. In saying that, location and an understanding of the body of water you’re collecting from is key. I’m surfing in my zone almost every day so have a pretty intimate understanding of what’s happening with currents, turbidity, temperature, upwelling etc. If you’re unsure about the quality of your water source it might be best to give it a miss.

Nutramar Foods

Rusty_L_Shackleford

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a beach town and i dont bother with nsw for several reasons. You have to collect, treat it and transport it. Water is HEAVY. Its going to be a huge PITA to collect and transport enough for a decent water change. And where exactly are you gonna grab it from? The beach on an incomming tide is ok, but its gonna be full of sediment youre gonna have to let settle and/or filter out. Theres a risk, however small of pathogens, etc. From a boat landing you have to worry about contaminants. Making salt is cheap. There are lots of good ways to save money in this hobby, but water isnt one of em. I have an ro/di unit and i just bought a 160g bucket of instang ocean for $33. Its worth $33 for me not to have to lug buckets of water. Why risk my livestock investment over such a small amount of money?

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a beach town and i dont bother with nsw for several reasons. You have to collect, treat it and transport it. Water is HEAVY. Its going to be a huge PITA to collect and transport enough for a decent water change. And where exactly are you gonna grab it from? The beach on an incomming tide is ok, but its gonna be full of sediment youre gonna have to let settle and/or filter out. Theres a risk, however small of pathogens, etc. From a boat landing you have to worry about contaminants. Making salt is cheap. There are lots of good ways to save money in this hobby, but water isnt one of em. I have an ro/di unit and i just bought a 160g bucket of instang ocean for $33. Its worth $33 for me not to have to lug buckets of water. Why risk my livestock investment over such a small amount of money?
Thank you, it wasn’t about saving money. I already invested in the pricey nyos salt, I was more interested in if there were benefits to the health and development of the aquarium.

Nutramar Foods

Rusty_L_Shackleford

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it wasn’t about saving money. I already invested in the pricey nyos salt, I was more interested in if there were benefits to the health and development of the aquarium.
Many years ago i might i have said yes, but modern salt mixes are sooooo much better. I can only see downsides for most people. However if you were close enough to be able to pump the water and do a flow through system, or had a system to allow you to handle enough water to do a lot of big water changes then you might not have to worry about dosing and maintain rock solid parameters.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just don't get the "investment" in expensive salt. Sure, if you have a small tank and rely on water changes for levels instead of dosing... otherwise you are just dumping money down the drain. Instant Ocean is cheap and works just fine. Salt is Salt - trace and macro elements are trace and macro elements. Why pay to have the salt company add them when you can do it (and likely already are) yourself for exponentially less via dosing?

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't get the "investment" in expensive salt. Sure, if you have a small tank and rely on water changes for levels instead of dosing... otherwise you are just dumping money down the drain. Instant Ocean is cheap and works just fine. Salt is Salt - trace and macro elements are trace and macro elements. Why pay to have the salt company add them when you can do it (and likely already are) yourself for exponentially less via dosing?
Because it mixes clean, very quickly, doesn’t need to be warmed or sit for 24 hours. I’m new so just wanted to be safe then sorry for first go around. I may change salt as I gain experience.

BRS
OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago i might i have said yes, but modern salt mixes are sooooo much better. I can only see downsides for most people. However if you were close enough to be able to pump the water and do a flow through system, or had a system to allow you to handle enough water to do a lot of big water changes then you might not have to worry about dosing and maintain rock solid parameters.
It’s a stone throw but not close enough to plumb out of. That’d be hilarious though I think to see.
It’s a nano 20G so id only grab like a pitcher a week.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the water, I've done it for years (West Coast), PaulB has done it for years (Other side of the sound from you on Long Island) and many others have done it also. Just pick an appropriate spot for clean water during incoming tide. With that being said, the only way you're ever going to convince yourself is to actually try it. Then let us know how it worked for you. My money is on it will be okay.

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it mixes clean, very quickly, doesn’t need to be warmed or sit for 24 hours. I’m new so just wanted to be safe then sorry for first go around. I may change salt as I gain experience.
Changing salt is not a good change.
Make sure your choice is easily available.
Decide, then stick with that, mix or ocean.

Top Shelf Aquatics

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all. I live on the beach, in CT, it’s the Long Island sound.
Wondering if anyone has experience using sand and or ocean water in their tanks?
I have nyos and arag alive special grade for my tank but am thinking maybe adding a cup or two of “clean” sand and water.
Back many years ago I added a couple of algae covered stones to my fish only tank. I got a good population of pods from that.

If you know where to look you might find juvenile tropical fish late summer before it gets cold.

BRS

pennied

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kill Me Smh GIF

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say I love your handle LOL

Top Shelf Aquatics

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be 2 major paradigms in this hobby, natural/biodiversity and science/balance. If you want to follow more the route of biodiversity and focusing on using as much of nature as you can, NSW is probably a good option, especially with such a small tank cause it is basically no work. If you are more on watching numbers and a clean and perfect tank, maybe not the best option because of what it can bring with it.

Hopefully I didn’t offend anyone with this oversimplified version :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Rusty_L_Shackleford

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the water, I've done it for years (West Coast), PaulB has done it for years (Other side of the sound from you on Long Island) and many others have done it also. Just pick an appropriate spot for clean water during incoming tide. With that being said, the only way you're ever going to convince yourself is to actually try it. Then let us know how it worked for you. My money is on it will be okay.
It definitely works. A lot of public aquariums and aquaculture facilities do it. I volunteered at the waikiki aquarium, and they used a salt water well for their water. They also had a tap for the water available to the public as well, so that might be an option if youre near an aquarium thar offers filtered nsw. I also did a little work at an aquaculture facility that pumped water into a vat and then circulated it through micron filters before using it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back