Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixes nice and clean. Quick dissolving. No residue. No clumping.
How well does it store?

I have tried blue bucket and Fritz blue box - blue bucket seemed very clean, Fritz blue box leaves a bunch of yellow crust even after just one mixing

Looking at upgrading to higher alk salts and it's between this Nyos salt and Coral Pro at this time

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does it store?

I have tried blue bucket and Fritz blue box - blue bucket seemed very clean, Fritz blue box leaves a bunch of yellow crust even after just one mixing

Looking at upgrading to higher alk salts and it's between this Nyos salt and Coral Pro at this time

I've thought of trying the Nyos or Fauna Marin as they are very similar. I've used Red Sea Blue Bucket and Coral Pro for the last 13 or more years.

People complain constantly about Red Sea not mixing well or leaving a residue and I have never had that happen. People need to read and know how to properly mix salt. My RODI water stays at the temp of my home which is climate controlled, of 70 to 71. My RODI water might be a bit colder than that as it sits stored in 5 gallon water jugs.

I use 5 gallon Buckets for water changes and pour about 3 gallons of RODI a water at room temp in the bucket. I then pour in all the salt I need and mix using a hand held rubber long spatula type spoon.

I drop my heater in set for 79 and a powerhead. I let that mix and heat up and use it within an hour depending on if I'm cleaning the tank, etc.

Never, ever had precipitation or anything left behind. Colder water is the key. Anytime you heat water and then dump salt in, it's going to be cloudy.

Take a glass and fill it with cold water and you'll see it's clear. Take another glass and fill it with hot water and look at the clarity. When you heat water, hydrogen and oxygen molecules expand, creating micro bubbles. That's why people think salt mixes cloudy.

I'll probably stick with Red Sea. You should always before using the salt, roll the bucket on the ground for 3 or 4 feet one way then roll it the other way. Tilt it top to bottom, etc. Just make sure it's mixed. If it's a bag, then it's much easier to knead the bag and mix the salt before use.

OP
OP
MtnDewMan

MtnDewMan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does it store?

Mixes well and stays mixed. I keep a small powerhead always flowing, so it stays mixed well.

BRS

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does it store?

NYOS is not a high alk salt. It is around 8 to 8.5dkh which is perfect. Coral Pro salt from Red Sea does not store at all and the instructions even state to use within 4 hours of mixing. It is one of the worst and dirtiet salts I tested

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYOS is not a high alk salt. It is around 8 to 8.5dkh which is perfect. Coral Pro salt from Red Sea does not store at all and the instructions even state to use within 4 hours of mixing. It is one of the worst and dirtiet salts I tested

That's interesting that you think that on Red Sea Coral Pro. I've never had any issues with residue. What kind if residue are you seeing and was your water stored inside and around 68 to 70 degrees?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was using ESV and wanted to give NYOS a try. Both are expensive, but NYOS mixes closer to where my dKh gravitates (8.0). I've done several 10g water changes and do not see any precipitate in the bottom. It mixes pretty quickly and I don't have four things to weigh...only one. My consideration for the salt change was that the last two ESV 100g batches left me with either not enough of liquid A or not enough of B to complete the 100g batch. I know human error can be a factor, but I've been using it for some time. I'll continue to use NYOS and see how things go over six months. Overall, I like the NYOS salt; hopefully, supply will not become disrupted.

Top Shelf Aquatics

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use ESV, TM, and HW salt. I’m far from a penny pincher when it comes to salt.

However, this salt is expensive for what it is IMO. 135g out of one bucket/box is crazy to me. And that’s at 34ppt. Make it 35ppt and it makes even less.

I hope it works well for people and the numbers line up. I’ll be testing a bucket to see how their numbers line up.
It's about the same as ESV; slightly cheaper. I just changed from ESV to NYOS.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so my three 20kg bags came in yesterday. I'll do my weekly water change this weekend.

Initial thoughts, I haven't opened the bag yet, but the salt seems very fine and loose. The bags are very fluid in movement. Some salt bags I've had before seem stiff and almost hard with the salt in consistency.

The label has the ICP results. All three of my bags share the exact same parameters as they are all from the same batch, November 2022.

The DKH is a bit lower than I like and I thought it would be around 8.5 from all I read, but it's good and I can work with that number.

Here is the ICP report and bag pics. I liked the "Store use only, not for resale". Well, they resold .

20230419_182946.jpg
20230419_182830.jpg

20230419_182618.jpg

Attachments

• 20221108B-November-26-2022-B-oqX3Nw.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

cwerner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I’m just tired of paying German import prices to get small boxes of salt

I want a North American brand that is quality
Fritz ain’t it that’s for sure
Maybe give Brightwell Neomarine a try. I usually use HW-MarineMix, but I tried a bucket of theirs and was pretty impressed.

Nutramar Foods

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no! My Dkh is off by 0.3 from yours, I need 3 more bags as replacement!! Haha.

Let me know what you think of it when you use it.

I've been using it for a few changes now and like it. I switched from ESV only because NYOS is closer to my 8.0 dKh in the DT. ESV is generally around 9.0 @ 35ppt

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any noticeable difference in the corals or anything?
No, I think it is too soon for any discernible difference.

Ironically, the tank looks the best it ever has recently. However, I think that is due to the PO4 levels finally getting up to where they should be after two years.

Last edited:
AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back